Preparing for Physics GRE: Moving Test Date?

In summary, the person has been studying for the physics gre for a couple of months but has not been able to do better than 40/100. They are considering moving their test date to April instead of taking it in October and possibly doing poorly. They also mention the recent change in grading rules that allows guessing without penalty, but it has not been helping their performance.
Mgkov18
I have been studying for the physics gre for a couple months now and can't seem to do better then getting 40/100; I have taken all but the 2008 physics gre test. I am taking a gap year so would it be a bad idea to move my test date to April instead of doing poorly in October and taking the test again in April? Also, I know they just switched up the grading on the physics gre so that you can guess without a penalty but that doesn't seem to be helping me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mgkov18 said:
I have been studying for the physics gre for a couple months now and can't seem to do better then getting 40/100;

Then why do you think doing more of the same thing that isn't helping is going to help?

Mgkov18 said:
Also, I know they just switched up the grading on the physics gre so that you can guess without a penalty but that doesn't seem to be helping me.

Why would that help? The same rules apply to everybody.

Likes CalcNerd

1. What is the best way to prepare for the Physics GRE?

The best way to prepare for the Physics GRE is to start studying early and regularly, review fundamental concepts and equations, and practice solving sample problems from past exams. It is also helpful to take a prep course or work with a tutor for additional guidance and support.

2. Should I change my test date if I feel unprepared?

If you feel unprepared for the Physics GRE, it may be beneficial to change your test date. This will give you more time to study and increase your chances of achieving a higher score. However, be sure to consider any deadlines for graduate programs that may require your GRE scores.

3. How many hours should I study per day to prepare for the Physics GRE?

The amount of time you should study per day will vary depending on your individual learning style and schedule. However, it is generally recommended to dedicate at least 2-3 hours per day for several weeks leading up to the exam.

4. Is it better to study alone or with a study group?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and learning style. Some people may benefit from studying alone, as it allows them to focus and go at their own pace. Others may find it helpful to study with a group, as it allows for collaboration and discussion of concepts. Consider trying both methods to see which works best for you.

5. How can I manage my time effectively during the exam?

To manage your time effectively during the Physics GRE, it is important to familiarize yourself with the format and structure of the exam beforehand. This will allow you to strategize and allocate your time accordingly to ensure you have enough time to answer all questions. Also, try not to spend too much time on any one question and move on if you are unsure, as you can always come back to it later if time permits.