Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Missing Hydrogen in DNA base pairs

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    The question: What happens to the extra hydrogen when the base pairs combine?

For example the formula for Adenine and Thymine are C5H5N5 & C5H6N2O2. So when combined there should be 11 hydrogen, however in the diagrams for A and T when together only show H9. 2 off. Same with G and C, C5H5N5O & C4H5N3O. There should be 10 hydrogen total, but the diagram shows 8. 2 off. What concept am I missing?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Look up the molecules and figure out which hydrogens are missing. Can you see what has replaced H in the figure you posted?

4. Mar 21, 2017 #3
    I think I see what you are saying... The missing H's are replaced with what looks like ( C1' ) ? Don't know what that stands for though...They are located in the lower right and left of each diagram. Am I on the right track? So would those symbols represent where they bond to the sugar phosphate backbone of the DNA strand?

5. Mar 21, 2017 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Correct. Have a look at this picture in Wikipedia, where you see also the backbone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA#/media/File:DNA_chemical_structure.svg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted