1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Missing something pretty simple in counting energy levels?

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the no. of energy levels with different values of total spin for a system of N particles with spin 1/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let f be the no. ways to get a z projection of spin, then

[itex]f(\sigma )=Binomial(N,\frac{1}{2}N + \sigma)[/itex]
    Where Binomial(a,b) is a chose b

That part makes perfect sense
    To each energy level with a given S there corresponds 2S+1 states with σ=S...-S
    Again, I know this
    Hence it is easy to see that the no. different energy levels with a given value of S are

n(S)=f(s)-f(s+1)

And that is where it lost me, I don't understand why this is and I feel like I'm missing something simple..

Could anyone offer any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

How exactly does the Hamiltonian depend on spin here? It seems you'd have to know that to be able to count the number of energy levels.

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    There's no mention of the hamiltonian at all.

What I quoted in the problem statement was everything that I'm given in the problem and, unless I've missed something, there has been no mention of any assumptions being made about the hamiltionian up to this point.

It's at the end of a section that told of how to use youngs diagrams and symmetries of the coordinate and spin wavefunctions under permutations so I'm guessing I have to use that but I'm really not following.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook