1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mitigating Loss/Gain Asymmetry ?

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    In doing some calculations the other day I came across the concept of "Loss/Gain Asymmetry". After spending sometime searching I was only able to find cursory information on the subject was hopeing someone mind be able to answer a question I had on the subject.

In a scenerio where a 100 units of something are acquired at a specific price and the value proceeds to increase by 100% promptly followed by a 60% loss in value. Due to the asymmetical nature of Gain/Loss ratio the remaining value would then have to increase in value 150% to return to its previous peak.

....Alright I fully understand things up to this point.

Obviously only through the benefit of hindsight would anyone know exactly how low the value would go, but after the 100% gain we know that anything greater than a 50% loss would effectly be like buying a depreciating asset to begin with.

My question is would there be someway to mitigate the asymmetry by bleeding off (selling) a certain number of units at a given rate to create a bias closer to the peak value? Clearly selling at the peak would be the most efficient, but since that value is only known in retrospect there is going to be a certain level of inefficiency that is unavoidable.

I know in finance the concept is referred to as "Scaling" ...any idea how you calculate the bleed off rate depending on the amount of upward bias being sought ?

This probably isn't going to be a question with a definitive single answer, but I was hoping someone with better math skills than I have could help me chip away at the question.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted