Modeling a spark gap--How to solve a DE with a step function

In summary, the individual is unsure of how to solve one equation out of four and has considered using Laplace transforms but has found it difficult to apply them to a step function with a variable. They are also open to alternative ways of modeling a spark gap in a circuit. The conversation then shifts to discussing the circuit being modeled, which is a basic Tesla coil circuit with two different time constants. The individual mentions treating the spark gap as a capacitor and correcting an error in their equation.
Motocross9
Homework Statement
I wish to solve a system of differential equations; however, I am modeling a spark gap by using a step function. How could I solve? I'll provide the first equation below as an example:
Relevant Equations
##V_ocos(\omega*t)=\dot Q_1R_1+(Q_2/C_1)(1-U(Q_2-C_1V_o))##
Honestly not sure how to go about this. Again this is one equation of 4 that I have. I considered using Laplace transforms but taking the Laplace transform of a step function whose argument is one of the variables being solved for doesn't seem possible. Also, if there is an alternative way to model a spark gap in a circuit, I would love to be informed of it. Thanks in advance!

(also ##Q_1## and ##Q_2## are the functions of time I wish to solve for)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post the circuit you're trying to model? The RHS suggests a resistor in series with a capacitor "switched" by the spark-gap. Is that O.K?

Gordianus said:
Could you post the circuit you're trying to model? The RHS suggests a resistor in series with a capacitor "switched" by the spark-gap. Is that O.K?
I am modeling the basic Tesla coil circuit. In particular, it is this one:
1597265315096.png

The resistor isn't shown in this diagram, however. I am treating the spark gap as a capacitor, whose voltage drops to zero once the voltage across it reaches ##V_o##. I actually entered the first equation wrong--its fixed now.

Quite a tricky circuit. It has, at least, two widely different time constants. A slow one, related to the charge of the HV capacitor at mains frequency and a fast one, related to the discharge of the HV capacitor on the primary of the HV transformer. In a simple model I'd consider the spark gap as a non-linear resistance instead of a capacitor.

1. How do you model a spark gap?

In order to model a spark gap, you will need to use a differential equation (DE) with a step function. This type of DE takes into account the sudden change in voltage that occurs when a spark is produced.

2. What is a step function?

A step function is a mathematical function that changes value suddenly at a specific point. In the context of modeling a spark gap, the step function represents the sudden increase in voltage that occurs when a spark is created.

3. How do you solve a DE with a step function?

To solve a DE with a step function, you will need to use a technique called the Laplace transform. This allows you to transform the DE into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved for the desired variable.

4. What are the challenges of modeling a spark gap?

One of the main challenges of modeling a spark gap is accurately representing the sudden change in voltage that occurs. This can be difficult to capture in a mathematical model and may require some simplifications or assumptions.

5. What are some real-world applications of modeling a spark gap?

Modeling a spark gap can be useful in a variety of fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to understand and predict the behavior of spark-producing devices such as spark plugs, lightning rods, and welding equipment.