Modeling Acceleration at Impact

In summary: The absolute value of the acceleration would increase over time, as things tend to get harder when compressed (compare it to a spring).
jrp95
Hi all,

Background:
I'm working on a project where I am dropping an arduino with an accelerometer from ~100 ft in the air to measure it's acceleration during free fall and at impact. I need to compare my collected data with predicted models.

I have the model for free fall (just 9.8m/s^2), but I'm struggling to find a model equation for acceleration at impact. Perhaps I am overthinking this...

Attempt:
The best equation I have found is "The Rate of Deceleration Formula" which is:
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 1.46.34 PM.png

So this will give me a constant.

I need to plot this model with my actual data that I collect. However, the units of deceleration are in m/s^2, and if I multiply this value by time, I will get a velocity.

Question:
Is the model for acceleration at impact a constant (whatever value the rate of deceleration turns out to be) and I am just intuitively wrong here? If it is not, do you know of a good model to use?

If it is a constant, that would mean that I'd intuitively expect the acceleration to nearly reach the model's rate of deceleration value before dramatically decreasing to 0 (as it settles on the ground).

Physics news on Phys.org
jrp95 said:
I have the model for free fall (just 9.8m/s^2)
Is this really what the accelerometer will show you?

Acceleration at impact will have some non-trivial shape that depends on how exactly the setup lands, which parts breaks how (if something breaks), which parts flex how much and so on. You can calculate the velocity change during the impact, you can make a rough estimate how large the acceleration will be, but predicting the acceleration shape during the impact accurately will be quite challenging.

Likes sophiecentaur
Thanks for the reply,

mfb said:
predicting the acceleration shape during the impact accurately will be quite challenging.

Agreed, which surprised me when my professor called for it. However, given the scope of the class and timeframe given I am not expected to model the impact with such a high degree of accuracy. I'm focused on finding a general model, something that I can compare data to and explain how it is different from my actual data.

jrp95 said:
I'm focused on finding a general model,
You already have a simple general model. The problem is determining the deceleration distance that you need in that model.

mfb said:
Is this really what the accelerometer will show you?
Perhaps it's assumed that 'before and during' measurements will be made.

You could do a rough model if you assume that the Arduino survives the impact and remains largely intact apart from some crushing damage at the point of impact and if you restrict your model to one very simple case .

Measure or calculate the crushing characteristics of the board and determine the mass distribution .

Then analyse the case where the board comes down with long axis near vertical , hits the ground and rolls over .

You would need to decide on the nature of the ground . A hard unyielding surface would make calculations easiest .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
You could do a rough model if you assume that the Arduino survives the impact and remains largely intact apart from some crushing damage at the point of impact and if you restrict your model to one very simple case .

Yes, I have designed a housing that is set to crush a certain distance. It is not a perfect design but I will be basing my distance value off that.

I'm just mainly concerned that the deceleration model I found is actually correct for this application. Right now, this would be a linear model that intersects the y-axis at the maximum acceleration value and decreases very quickly (nearly straight down) to zero m/s^2.

You know that the contact force begins at zero, and ends either at the weight of the box or at zero, depending on whether you allow it to eventually land or not. You might model a zero-to-zero impact force with a simple triangle or as a single arch of a sine wave.

jrp95 said:
I'm just mainly concerned that the deceleration model I found is actually correct for this application. Right now, this would be a linear model that intersects the y-axis at the maximum acceleration value and decreases very quickly (nearly straight down) to zero m/s^2.
That does not correspond to what you have shown in post 1.

If nothing breaks during the impact, in general I would expect the absolute value of the acceleration to increase over time, as things tend to get harder when compressed (compare it to a spring).

1) What is "Modeling Acceleration at Impact"?

"Modeling Acceleration at Impact" is a scientific process used to study and predict the acceleration experienced by an object or body during an impact event. It involves using mathematical equations, computer simulations, and experimental data to create a model that accurately represents the forces and motion involved in an impact.

2) Why is "Modeling Acceleration at Impact" important?

"Modeling Acceleration at Impact" is important because it allows scientists and engineers to understand and predict the effects of impacts on objects and bodies. This information can be used to design safer structures, vehicles, and protective gear, as well as to improve safety standards and regulations.

3) What factors are involved in "Modeling Acceleration at Impact"?

The factors involved in "Modeling Acceleration at Impact" include the mass and velocity of the impacting object, the stiffness and geometry of the impacted object, and the duration and angle of the impact. Other factors, such as air resistance and friction, may also need to be considered depending on the specific scenario.

4) How is "Modeling Acceleration at Impact" used in real-world applications?

"Modeling Acceleration at Impact" is used in a variety of real-world applications, including car crash testing, sports equipment design, and building safety assessments. It is also used in forensic investigations to reconstruct accidents and determine the cause of injuries.

5) What are the limitations of "Modeling Acceleration at Impact"?

One limitation of "Modeling Acceleration at Impact" is that it relies on simplified assumptions and idealized conditions, which may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the model is dependent on the accuracy of the input data and the assumptions made by the researcher. It is important to carefully consider and validate the model before applying it to real-world situations.