Modeling eliptical motion of planets

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kepler's second law to model the motion of planets and the challenges in finding an equation that relates position and time. The conversation also mentions the limitations of Kepler's laws and Newton's law of gravitation, and suggests using orbital elements for a more accurate model. It is also noted that while general relativity is needed for certain cases, the 3D Newtonian model is sufficient for most cases in celestial mechanics.
pompey
I am trying to write a simple java program to model the motion of planets according to kepler's second law. I have everything working...except I can't find how to find an equation relating position and time. I have

x = a cos(t)
y = b sin(t)

where a and b are the semimajor and semiminor axises respectively, but those equations are for uniform velocity which planets do not exhibit. I've googled around and looked in a few books but I can not find any such equation. I can find the equation for velocity...but I need a model for the actual position. Does anyone know of any such model or have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of caveats first. Kepler's laws are not quite correct. The solar system comprises the sun, eight planets, at least three dwarf planets, and a very large number of smaller bodies. Newton's law of gravitation dictates that these planets, etc will interact with each other as well as with the sun. Moreover, Newton's law of gravitation itself is not quite correct. General relativity is our best model of gravitation to date.

Bottom line: You can use Kepler's laws to propagate the states of the planets. The results however will slowly degrade in accuracy over time, eventually become little more than fiction.

The second caveat is that you have are treating this as a two dimensional problem. You need to go to three dimensions if you want to have more than one planet. Each planet has its own orbital plane that is slightly different from that of any other planet. Moreover, the planets have different arguments of perihelion.

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws#Second_law" gives a four step algorithm for applying Kepler's second law. You need to add one more simple step to get the position of the planet in the orbital plane and with the positive x-axis aligned with the perihelion position: [itex]x=r\cos\theta, y=r\sin\theta[/itex].

You will need to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_elements" get something that is quite a bit more realistic and still uses Kepler's laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it is true that general relativity is needed in order to for example fully account for the orbit of Mercury, relativistic effects should not be significantly appreciable for the rest of the Solar system.

The (3-D!) Newtonian simplification is more than adequate in most cases concerning celestial mechanics.

I agree that with the exception of Mercury, Newton's Laws are more than adequate over a fairly long time span (thousands/tens of thousands of years, maybe a lot more??). In order to accurately model the solar system using the 3D Newtonian model one needs to consider the interactions among planets. Kepler's Laws are an additional approximation on top of Newton's laws.

1. What is the definition of "elliptical motion"?

"Elliptical motion" refers to the movement of an object in an oval-shaped path, where the object's distance from a central point varies throughout the motion.

2. How do you model the elliptical motion of planets?

The elliptical motion of planets can be modeled using Kepler's laws of planetary motion and the laws of gravitation. This involves calculating the gravitational force between the planet and the sun, and using this force to determine the planet's acceleration and subsequent motion.

3. What factors affect the shape and speed of an elliptical orbit?

The shape and speed of an elliptical orbit are primarily affected by the mass and distance of the planet from the sun. The planet's eccentricity (how elongated the orbit is) and the gravitational pull of other nearby objects can also have an impact.

4. Can the elliptical motion of planets be accurately modeled?

Yes, the elliptical motion of planets can be accurately modeled using mathematical equations and computer simulations. However, there may be slight discrepancies due to factors such as the presence of other celestial bodies and the limitations of our current understanding of the laws of physics.

5. How does the elliptical motion of planets impact our understanding of the universe?

The study of the elliptical motion of planets has greatly contributed to our understanding of the laws of gravitation and the mechanics of celestial bodies. This knowledge has also allowed us to accurately predict and track the movements of planets and other objects in our solar system, and has provided insights into the formation and evolution of the universe.