Modeling Stress in Simple Objects: Easy Software Options?

In summary, there are a few free FEA software options that could be used for modeling stress in simple objects.
guv
TL;DR Summary
strain and stress simulation software
I am trying to model stress in simple objects such as a disk, a cube, a rectangular prism or a solid ball under their own weight or additional point mass weight on top to demonstrate such material response to students. I understand the usual process is to set up Mesh, boundary condition, and compute stress/strain. Is there a relatively simple software that can accomplish such goals. Is this a good option? dune-project.org

If it's easier to write some MATLAB code to do this myself, is there a simple example/document I can follow?

Thanks,

If this is not the right sub forum, please move to the right forum. Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There are some interesting open-source FEA programs. For example check Z88-Aurora, Elmer, CalculiX or Code_Aster. They are not very user-friendly and some even don't have pre- and postprocesors (apart from third part ones) but they can be useful anyway. You can also check SimScale which is not open-source but can be used for free if you don't mind your projects being public.

Likes guv
SolidWorks is a solid modeling software that has an integrated FEA package. Their base software has a minimally capable FEA that is not a useful tool, but their Premium FEA is pretty good. Buying the full package is several thousand dollars, but there is a cheaper way. Join the Experimental Aircraft Assocation for $40.00 per year, and get SolidWorks for free: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center, and also: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-pu...ks-education-premium-now-free-for-eaa-members.

• Wow
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
jrmichler said:
SolidWorks is a solid modeling software that has an integrated FEA package. Their base software has a minimally capable FEA that is not a useful tool, but their Premium FEA is pretty good. Buying the full package is several thousand dollars, but there is a cheaper way. Join the Experimental Aircraft Assocation for $40.00 per year, and get SolidWorks for free: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center, and also: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-pu...ks-education-premium-now-free-for-eaa-members.

SolidWorks Simulation is very good software but there are some CAD programs with FEA module that are free for students. Particularly I’m talking about Autodesk Inventor and Autodesk Fusion 360. These are great options for teaching purposes.

The free version of Lisa might also be a good candidate. (The only constraint is a 1300 node limit.)

jack action said:
The free version of Lisa might also be a good candidate. (The only constraint is a 1300 node limit.)

From my experience with Abaqus (its student version can be used up to 1000 nodes) that’s a very strict limit. In this regard, student version of ANSYS seems like a better choice (max 32k nodes/elements for structural problems).

Likes guv

1. What is the purpose of modeling stress in simple objects?

The purpose of modeling stress in simple objects is to understand how different factors, such as force and material properties, affect the behavior of objects under stress. This can help in designing stronger and more efficient structures or products.

2. What are some common software options for modeling stress in simple objects?

Some common software options for modeling stress in simple objects include ANSYS, SolidWorks Simulation, and COMSOL Multiphysics. These programs use finite element analysis (FEA) to simulate the behavior of objects under different stress conditions.

3. How accurate are the results obtained from modeling stress in simple objects?

The accuracy of the results obtained from modeling stress in simple objects depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the object, the accuracy of the input parameters, and the chosen software. However, with proper modeling techniques and validation, the results can be highly accurate.

4. Can modeling stress in simple objects be used for real-life applications?

Yes, modeling stress in simple objects can be used for real-life applications. It can help in predicting the behavior of objects under different stress conditions, which is crucial in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.

5. Do I need to have a background in engineering to use software for modeling stress in simple objects?

While having a background in engineering can be helpful, it is not necessary to use software for modeling stress in simple objects. Most software programs have user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to guide users through the process. However, a basic understanding of mechanics and material properties is recommended for accurate results.