Can Software Calculate Creep and Stress Relaxation in Spring-Damper Models?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stealth101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Creep Stress
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Stealth101
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I have a question.

Does exists a software that is able to calculate creep and stress relaxation of a model of springs and dampers?

Is Matlab/Simulink able to do this?

Thanks in advance.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Stealth101, welcome to PF. If you're able to put the components' constitutive equations together in the s-domain, any symbolic software should be able to find the inverse Laplace transform, which will give you the equations you're looking for. Mathematica can do it, certainly; I'm pretty sure the Matlab can also, but I don't have that immediately at hand.
 
Mapes said:
If you're able to put the components' constitutive equations together.

I have some doubts about the equations, because I have to study a model without a free "extremity" so I can't apply the Heaviside step function in the classic way.

Practically this model has the "chassis" both on the right side and left side.

I'm sorry for my poor English.
 
Still, if you can turn all the components into impedances (k for springs, sω for dashpots), hopefully you can combine them like springs and get displacement as a function of load.