Modeling the Absorbtion of Silver-doped glass

In summary, a researcher is seeking to understand why the absorption spectrum peaks at 420nm for silver nanoparticles and is looking for mathematical modeling resources to explain the relationship between light frequency, absorbance, and nanoparticle size. They also mention an interest in understanding the conversion of visible light to thermal energy and the possibility of lattice vibrations being the primary mechanism for absorption.
Physgirl 101
Hi all,

I'm doing some theory for my research, and I'm stuck! I'm trying to figure out why the absorption spectrum peaks at 420nm for silver nanoparticles. I know that this is expected for silver--I understand conceptually what's going on... but am trying to show it mathematically.

I'm trying to mathematically show why light of a given frequency (which matches the resonance frequency of the material) causes an increase in absorbance, and why/how this absorbance band broadens with nanoparticle size... I know the plasmon resonant frequency, Mie theory, and polarization all have something to do with it, but can't make the jump to modeling.

Does anyone know a good resource that I can check out to better understand how to model this? (forgive me--I'm an experimentalist-in-training) :blushing:

Thanks!
-Physgirl

Physics news on Phys.org
I am interested in these kind of questions and had a couple of discussions in this forum over the last year which petered out with no real resolution. Probably the conversion of visible light to thermal energy is the area that interests me the most. Is this your problem? What I've been trying to do is put together a picture of interaction with lattice vibrations (phonons I suppose) whereby the interaction is strongest when the wavelengths match. It's kind of a Compton effect except with phonons instead of electrons. I'm wondering if this is ultimately the primary mechanism for absorption.

1. What is the purpose of modeling the absorption of silver-doped glass?

The purpose of modeling the absorption of silver-doped glass is to understand and predict how the glass will interact with light. This is important for applications such as optical filters, lenses, and windows.

2. How is the absorption of silver-doped glass typically modeled?

The absorption of silver-doped glass is typically modeled using computational methods, such as density functional theory, to calculate the electronic structure of the glass and predict how it will interact with light.

3. What factors affect the absorption of silver-doped glass?

The absorption of silver-doped glass can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of silver ions, the size and shape of the glass particles, and the wavelength of light being absorbed.

4. What are the potential applications of silver-doped glass?

Silver-doped glass has a wide range of potential applications, including as a component in optical devices, as a catalyst for chemical reactions, and as an antibacterial material in medical devices.

5. How can the absorption of silver-doped glass be optimized?

The absorption of silver-doped glass can be optimized by adjusting the concentration of silver ions, controlling the size and shape of the glass particles, and selecting the appropriate wavelength of light for the desired application.