Modelling galactic bulges? For my 3rd year project.

In summary, the student is not sure if this project is too hard for them and wants to speak with the project supervisor.
great_sushi
Galactic Modelling - Bulge formation

The bulges at the centres of galaxies often host supermassive black holes (SMBHs), with masses as large as 10^9 M sun. The masses of SMBHs correlate with properties of bulges. Therefore it is important to understand how bulges form in order to understand how they can control the SMBHs that form within them. Classical bulges are thought to form from the mergers of pre-galactic clumps. In this project the student will use simulations to explore how classical bulges evolve and how this impacts SMBHs. This project area is only suitable for a high-achieving student that has a good knowledge of computers and linux.

I want to know if people think this is too hard? I am an average achieving student.. although I know I could be a high achiever but I don't put in anywhere near enough time into my study. Which I plan to change for my 3rd year.. i need at least 71% to get a 1st and I want a 1st.

I am not a great programmer, my last project I did was about chaos... luckily for me, I had a module that was about chaos and simulating chaotic behavior... so I had plenty of help with it.

Can anyone give me any insight as to what this project may involve? If they have done anything similar and how they found it etc
Or just some advice on the topic.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I have no experience with this topic. However, have you tried approaching the member of staff who is supervising the project? I'm sure they will be more than happy to discuss what will be required in more detail, and to assess your potential to be successful.

You should definitely speak with the project supervisor. But I can tell you that it's very likely to be entirely coding, with little or no analytical work. A good question to ask would be which language existing code is written in, since if you're not familiar with that you have some catch-up to do.

Ok thanks for the feedback. I will send an email

for your interest in galactic bulge modelling! This is a fascinating and complex area of astrophysics that requires a deep understanding of both computer simulations and galaxy formation processes. As the project description notes, this is a challenging project that would be most suitable for a high-achieving student with a strong background in computer science and/or astrophysics. However, with dedication and hard work, it is certainly possible for an average achieving student to excel in this project as well.

In terms of what this project may involve, it would likely require a combination of theoretical work and computer simulations. This could include studying the current literature on galactic bulge formation, understanding the underlying physics and equations involved, and then using computer simulations to model the evolution of classical bulges and their interactions with SMBHs. It may also involve coding and programming skills to create and analyze these simulations.

If you have a strong interest in this topic and are willing to put in the time and effort, then I would encourage you to pursue this project. It may be helpful to speak with your professors or advisors to get a better understanding of the level of difficulty and support available for this project at your university. Additionally, you may benefit from seeking out resources and studying materials related to galactic bulge formation and computer simulations to prepare yourself for this project. Good luck!

1. What is a galactic bulge?

A galactic bulge is a large, spherical or elliptical structure at the center of a galaxy that contains a high concentration of stars and gas. It is believed to be formed through the merging of smaller galaxies or through the collapse of gas and dust in the early stages of a galaxy's formation.

2. How do scientists model galactic bulges?

Scientists use a combination of observations, theoretical models, and computer simulations to model galactic bulges. This involves studying the distribution and properties of stars, gas, and dark matter within the bulge, as well as its formation and evolution over time.

3. What can we learn from studying galactic bulges?

Studying galactic bulges can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the role of mergers and interactions between galaxies. It can also help us understand the distribution of dark matter within galaxies and the role it plays in shaping their structure.

4. How does the mass of a galactic bulge affect the galaxy?

The mass of a galactic bulge is closely linked to the overall structure and dynamics of a galaxy. For example, galaxies with larger bulges tend to have more tightly wound spiral arms, while galaxies with smaller bulges may have looser spiral arms or irregular shapes. The mass of the bulge also affects the rotation and stability of the galaxy.

5. Are there different types of galactic bulges?

Yes, there are two main types of galactic bulges: classical bulges and pseudobulges. Classical bulges are typically large, dense, and spherical in shape, and are formed through mergers and interactions between galaxies. Pseudobulges, on the other hand, are smaller and more disk-like in shape, and are believed to form through the gradual accretion of gas and stars.