1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Third year physics project (teaching)

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    Hi all,
    I am currently a second year physics student who has started thinking about his third year project, I am hoping to do teaching upon completion of my degree and have been advised to link my final year long project to teaching in some way.
    The issue I am having isn't thinking of a project it is thinking of a project that can last a full academic year and has some decent mid-high level physics behind it and some how relates to teaching. If any body can give me some advice I would be very grateful.
    Thanks in advance
    Sam

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I suggest a project involving physics laboratory equipment - for labs at whatever level of physics you intend to teach. The problem of effective labs is complicated. They must be simple enough to complete in a few hours, they must illustrate concepts clearly, they must be safe, they must be relatively cheap, the equipment must be somewhat idiot-proof. A conceptually simple project would be writing a paper comparing a large number of commerical laboratory devices designed for the same type of experiments. A more complicated project could be to develop equipment for laboratory experiment. A social science type of project would be to study how students do labs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook