Modelling of a curve in 3D space

In summary, The person is looking for a 3D curve that resembles a snowdrop flower. They have tried using sine and cosine functions, but have not been successful in achieving the desired shape. They are asking for help from anyone who knows how to solve this problem. They have also provided examples of the curve they are trying to achieve and the one they have currently created.
ann96
i'm looking for a curve that would have a shape of a snowdrop (the white spring flower) in 3D space. i have tried some sine and cosine functions but they don't give me the right shape. if anyone knows how solve this problem feel free to comment :)

(i have tried f(x,y)= sin (x*x + y*y)/(x*x + y*y) ...but it gives me more of a water drop shape.)

Physics news on Phys.org
ann96 said:
i'm looking for a curve that would have a shape of a snowdrop (the white spring flower) in 3D space. i have tried some sine and cosine functions but they don't give me the right shape. if anyone knows how solve this problem feel free to comment :)

(i have tried f(x,y)= sin (x*x + y*y)/(x*x + y*y) ...but it gives me more of a water drop shape.)
Perhaps you can give us more information about what you're looking for?

Pond Dragon said:
Perhaps you can give us more information about what you're looking for?

in the first attached file is the curve i was talking about and in the second file is the curve i would like to get and is similar to a snowdrop (on the picture)

Attachments

• forum1.PNG
    forum1.PNG
    49.2 KB · Views: 547
  • forum2.PNG
    forum2.PNG
    50.3 KB · Views: 498

1. What is the purpose of modelling a curve in 3D space?

The purpose of modelling a curve in 3D space is to create a visual representation of a mathematical function or real-world object in three-dimensional space. This allows for a more accurate and detailed understanding of the curve's shape and characteristics.

2. How is a curve in 3D space different from a curve in 2D space?

A curve in 3D space has an additional dimension compared to a curve in 2D space. This means that a 3D curve can move and exist in multiple directions, whereas a 2D curve is limited to movement along a single plane.

3. What methods are used to model a curve in 3D space?

There are several methods for modelling a curve in 3D space, including parametric equations, vector equations, and implicit equations. Each method has its own advantages and is used in different situations depending on the desired outcome.

4. What is the importance of modelling curves in 3D space in scientific research?

Modelling curves in 3D space is crucial in many scientific fields, such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows for the visualization and analysis of complex data and phenomena, leading to a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and potential applications.

5. Are there any limitations to modelling curves in 3D space?

While modelling curves in 3D space can provide a more comprehensive representation, there are limitations to this approach. For instance, some curves may be difficult to model accurately, and the process can be computationally intensive. Additionally, the accuracy of the model may be affected by the precision of the data used.