What is the observed wavelength of the Hα line?

In summary, the angle between the direction the star is moving and the line of sight is 30 degrees. The wavelength of the Hα line is observed to be 656.30nm when the observer is also moving away at a speed of 20km/s. When the observer is stationary, the wavelength of the Hα line is observed to be 656.343nm.
Nat1234123

Homework Statement

A star moves away from us at a speed of 10 km / s. the angle between the speed direction and the line of sight are 30 °. What is the observed wavelength of the Hα line?
Then we suppose the observer is also moving at a speed of 20 km / away from the star.
What is the observed wavelength of the Hα line?

Homework Equations

vr = vs cos(Θ) - vo cos(Φ)
Δλ = λ - λo
Δλ/λ = vr/c

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer should be = 656,30nm
And for the second, : = 656,343 nm
My attempt is:
Δλ = 10000/3*10^8 * 656.28 = 0.02
--> λ = 656.30
Same for the second one but instead of 10000 is 20000. And I got the right answer.
However, I haven't used the angel, which is what worries me that my answer is wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to post a full attempt at a solution.

Also, clearly state what you are after. Do you simply want a confirmation that the result is correct?

DrClaude said:
You have to post a full attempt at a solution.

Also, clearly state what you are after. Do you simply want a confirmation that the result is correct?

More as, how to get there. I have the solution manual but I can't get to the solution. Hence I said the answer 'should' be.

Nat1234123 said:
More as, how to get there. I have the solution manual but I can't get to the solution. Hence I said the answer 'should' be.
I am confused about a couple of things in your posts.

In post #1, you appear to be saying that you got the right answers but only by ignoring the information about the angle. In post #3, you say you can't get the "right solution". Do you mean that in the sense that the right solution ought to involve the angle?

In post#1 you show the details of how you got 656.30. If I follow the same method for the 20000km/s case I get 656.32, but you quote the correct answer as 656.34 and write that you got that. How did you get 656.34?

The question statement strikes me as ambiguous. It says the star is "moving away from us" at 10km/s. That could mean it is moving at 10km/s in a direction that is predominantly away from us, but sounds more like the rate at which it is getting further from us is 10km/s.
In the first interpretation you should be applying cos(30) to the speed (not that it makes much difference to the answer), whereas in the second the angle is irrelevant.

1. What is the Hα line?

The Hα line is a spectral line in the Hydrogen Balmer series, which is visible in the red portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is caused by the transition of an electron from the third to the second energy level in a hydrogen atom.

2. What is the observed wavelength of the Hα line?

The observed wavelength of the Hα line is approximately 656.3 nanometers (nm) or 6563 angstroms (Å). This is the wavelength at which the line appears in the spectrum.

3. How is the observed wavelength of the Hα line determined?

The observed wavelength of the Hα line is determined through spectroscopy, which involves passing light through a prism or diffraction grating to separate it into its component wavelengths. The position of the Hα line in the resulting spectrum can then be measured and used to calculate its wavelength.

4. Why is the observed wavelength of the Hα line important in astronomy?

The observed wavelength of the Hα line is important in astronomy because it can be used to study the properties and behaviors of hydrogen gas in space. It is also commonly used as a reference point for measuring the wavelengths of other spectral lines, and can provide information about the temperature and density of a stellar object.

5. Can the observed wavelength of the Hα line vary?

Yes, the observed wavelength of the Hα line can vary depending on the conditions in which it is observed. For example, it may shift slightly due to the Doppler effect if the source of the line is moving towards or away from the observer. It can also be affected by the presence of interstellar matter that can absorb or scatter the light, causing the line to appear weaker or at a different wavelength.