Modified Amperes law, maxwells equations

Differential_formIn summary, the identity curl(curl(B))=Grad(Div(B)-Grad^2(B) can be used with Maxwell's equations in differential form to show that the magnetic field obeys the wave equation Grad^2(B)- (1/(C^2))(d^2(B)/dt^2). However, the expression for B given by the user is only valid in magnetostatics and not one of Maxwell's equations.
Physicist_FTW
Using the following identity curl(curl(B))=Grad(Div(B)-Grad^2(B) with maxwells equations in differential form in the absences of sources show that magnetic field obeys the wave equation Grad^2(B)- (1/(C^2))(d^2(B)/dt^2)

2. The main probelm is I'm not sure what form of B i should use, i think its

B=(U0/4PI)Intergral of ((dl[cross]r-hat)/r^2))

Could someone separate this into what it should look like as an x, y ,z vector i think then i could do this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Physicist_FTW,

The expression you wrote for B is only valid in magnetostatics, and is not one of Maxwell's equations. Maxwell's equations in differential form are the ones with the curls and divergences of E and B. You can find them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations

1. What is Modified Amperes Law?

Modified Amperes Law is a modification of the original Amperes Law, which is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It takes into account the displacement current, which was not considered in the original version of the law.

2. How is Modified Amperes Law related to Maxwell's Equations?

Modified Amperes Law is one of the four Maxwell's Equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is specifically related to the equation known as Maxwell's correction, which accounts for the displacement current in the law.

3. How is Modified Amperes Law used in practical applications?

Modified Amperes Law is used in many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of electromagnetic devices, such as motors and generators. It is also used in the development of communication technologies, such as radio and television.

4. What is the significance of Modified Amperes Law in understanding electromagnetic phenomena?

Modified Amperes Law is significant because it helps to explain the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields, which are fundamental in understanding electromagnetic phenomena. It also helps to unify the concepts of electricity and magnetism and provides a more complete understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

5. What are the limitations of Modified Amperes Law?

Modified Amperes Law is limited in its application to macroscopic systems, as it does not take into account the quantum nature of electromagnetic phenomena. It also does not apply to situations where the electric field is changing in time, such as in the presence of a changing magnetic field. In these cases, the full set of Maxwell's Equations must be used.