Modifying Newtonian Gravitational Force

In summary, this Brownstein/Moffat paper (arXiv:astro-ph/0702146v3, 13 Sep 2007)) looks interesting to me but it's too deep for me to really understand. The gist of it seems to be:- Alternative to the dark matter paradigm is to modify the Newtonian 1/r2 gravitational force law so that the ordinary (visible) baryonic matter accounts for the observed gravitational effect.- Some new observations suggest that the dark matter clouds observed thus far may not be typical, and that there may be a lot of variation among them.
81+
This Brownstein/Moffat paper (arXiv:astro-ph/0702146v3, 13 Sep 2007)) looks interesting to me but it's too deep for me to really understand. The gist of it seems to be:
===quote===
The alternative to the dark matter paradigm is to modify the Newtonian 1/r2 gravitational force law so that the ordinary (visible) baryonic matter accounts for the observed gravitational effect.
===endquote===

Does this paper have any merit?

Frank

Space news on Phys.org
81+ said:
This Brownstein/Moffat paper (arXiv:astro-ph/0702146v3, 13 Sep 2007)) looks interesting to me ...
Does this paper have any merit?

Frank

Frank, I don't have time to review the paper and give an honest itemized opinion but I can make some general observations.
The paper is part of the MOND line of research started by Milgrom in the 1981. Bekenstein has contributed. Brownstein and Moffat are major contributors.
I believe this line of research, as regards dark matter, is a noble effort but a lost cause.

I have watched MOND research since 2004 and have a high opinion of Moffat et al, but I've lost interest lately in efforts to explain dark matter by modifying the law of gravity. I sense that a lot of people who were formerly interested in this research are now no longer. It is certainly something that should have been tried, and we can be glad that Moffat et al gave it their best shot.

I also appreciate Moffat's diehard stubbornness. Also both Bekenstein and Moffat were technically adept and were able to carry Milgrom's idea of modifying gravity way past the original MOND idea.

Also I think that the modified-GR work will carry over into continued efforts to explain the dark energy effect. It is always good to have people tinkering with the basic laws, probing to find out where there is some give and where you can tweak without causing utter havoc.

These are just my personal opinions as an observer, for what they are worth. The main thing I want to get across is what killed off the interest in modified-GR as a way of explaining away dark matter.

It was a worthy effort, but what killed interest was mainly weak lensing maps of dark matter clouds.

An intervening cloud of dark matter distorts how we see the background of more distant galaxies by slightly elongating their images along an axis pointing towards the heart of the cloud. So even tho we cannot see the cloud we can tell where it is concentrated.

Frank Wilczek in his illuminating book The Lightness of Being points out that we should rather call it transparent matter because it is not dark in the sense of absorbing light, as truly dark objects do. Clouds of this transparent matter have a couple of different gravitational lensing effects. This weak gravitational lensing effect allows to map out the density of the cloud---and show the contours of its concentration.

As more and more clouds have been mapped, it has turned out there is quite some variety in the clouds, too much to explain using ordinary matter with modified-GR. There is variety in the amount of associated ordinary matter too. You can have two dwarf galaxies with the same total mass (counting both visible and dark) but with very different amounts of visible. The visible is not a fixed fraction of the total. If you would like a link to a recent article on that, let me know and i'll fetch one.

Last edited:
Marcus, thanks for your comments and thanks for the offer of the links, but no need, I'll dig them up myself now that I have your thoughts on this (which I value highly).

Frank

Frank, I'm grateful for the encouraging words. About digging up research papers about this, more power to you! I remembered one easy way I can help: we had this thread about dwarf galaxies and their dark matter clouds.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=253477
some new observations. still good to be skeptical pending further confirmation, but something to know about. something published in Nature about this. the thread gives an arxiv preprint and an interpretive news item.
apparently they observed variation in the proportion of dark matter to ordinary, and there are other interesting aspects as well

1. How can we modify Newtonian gravitational force?

Newtonian gravitational force can be modified by introducing a new term in the equation, known as the correction factor. This factor takes into account the effects of general relativity, which is a more accurate theory of gravity at extreme scales.

2. What is the purpose of modifying Newtonian gravitational force?

The purpose of modifying Newtonian gravitational force is to account for the discrepancies between the predictions of Newton's theory and observations at extreme scales, such as in the vicinity of black holes or during the early stages of the universe.

3. Is modifying Newtonian gravitational force necessary?

While Newton's theory of gravity works well for most practical applications, it fails to accurately describe the behavior of gravity at extreme scales. Therefore, modifying Newtonian gravitational force is necessary to get a more accurate understanding of gravity.

4. How does modifying Newtonian gravitational force affect the laws of motion?

The modification of Newtonian gravitational force does not affect the laws of motion as they still hold true in the modified theory. However, the equations of motion may be slightly different due to the presence of the correction factor in the gravitational force equation.

5. Can we modify Newtonian gravitational force to explain dark matter and dark energy?

While modifying Newtonian gravitational force can improve our understanding of gravity at extreme scales, it is not enough to explain the phenomena of dark matter and dark energy. These concepts require more advanced theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, to be fully understood.