Modular Forms: Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving that ##E^*_{2}(-1/t)=t^{2}E^*_{2}(t)## by showing that certain identifications hold for the generators ##T## and ##S##, which are matrices within ##SL_{2}(Z)##. The conversation also mentions the identification ##Im(\gamma.t)=\frac{Im(t)}{|ct+d | ^{2}}## and how it relates to the discussion. The speaker expresses uncertainty about how to obtain a specific term in one of the identifications.
binbagsss
Hi,

As part of showing that ##E^*_{2}(-1/t)=t^{2}E^*_{2}(t)##

where ##E^*_{2}(t)= - \frac{3}{\pi I am (t) } + E_{2}(t) ##

And since I have that ##t^{-2}E_{2}(-1/t)=E_{2}(t)+\frac{12}{2\pi i t} ##

I conclude that I need to show that ##\frac{-1}{Im(-1/t)}+\frac{2t}{i} = \frac{-t^{2}}{Im(t)} ## [1]

where ##t## inside the upper half plane
Im=imaginary

I also have the identification ##Im(\gamma.t)=\frac{Im(t)}{|ct+d | ^{2}}## [2],

where ##\gamma## is inside ##SL_{2}(Z)##, the modular group of 2x2 matrices with integer numbers and determinant 1, (apologies I'm unsure how you do a matrix in latex), with components ##\gamma_{11}=a,\gamma_{12}=b, \gamma_{21}=c, \gamma_{22}=d ## .

So this is part of a question where I am showing that ## E_{2}(t)^*## is weakly modular via showing that for the generators ##T## and ##S## the relevant identifications hold,##S## and ##T## inside ##SL_{2}(Z)##, so here, the one for ##S## being that :

##f(-1/t)=t^{k}f(t)##, ##S## is the matrix with components ##a=0,b=-1,c=1,d=0##

Now I am looking at [2] and, using ##S## as ##\gamma## that
##Im(S.t)=\frac{Im(t)}{t^{2}}##, but we also know ##S.t=-1/t## and therefore I have ##Im(-1/t)=\frac{Im(t)}{t^{2}}##, and so I have no idea how I'm going to get a ##\frac{-2t}{i}## term in [1]

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

1. What are modular forms and how are they related to the Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity?

Modular forms are functions that satisfy certain transformation properties under a discrete subgroup of the modular group. The Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity is a specific modular form that is used to study the behavior of non-holomorphic modular forms.

2. How is the Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity defined?

The Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity is defined as the sum of the real and imaginary parts of a specific infinite series. It is also known as the non-holomorphic weight 2 Eisenstein series.

3. What is the significance of the Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity in mathematics?

The Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity is significant because it allows for the study of non-holomorphic modular forms, which are important in various areas of mathematics such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and representation theory.

4. How is the Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity used in practice?

The Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity is used in various mathematical calculations and proofs, particularly in the study of modular forms and their applications. It is also used in the construction of various mathematical objects, such as the modular forms themselves.

5. Are there any other notable applications of the Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity?

Yes, the Non-holomorphic Eisenstein Series E2 identity has applications in physics, specifically in string theory and conformal field theory. It is also used in the study of certain types of mathematical lattices and in the construction of automorphic forms.