Modular mathematics - what is 7^(-1) mod 10

• Thread starter Woolyabyss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
So this is the method to solve for the inverse, right?In summary, the conversation focused on understanding the concept of modular arithmetic and finding the inverse of a number modulo another number. The conversation included explanations and different methods for finding the inverse, such as using the Euclidean algorithm. The final answer was 7^(-1) ≡ 3 mod 10, with a detailed explanation of how it was derived.
Woolyabyss
Sorry,
This isn't a homework question. I'm just having trouble understanding some of the notes I've taken down.I'd really appreciate if some of you could help me understand this.

1/3 is that number with the property

(1/3)(3) = 1

what is 7^(-1) mod 10?

7^(-1) ≡ 3 mod 10

because 7 * 3 ≡ 1 {21 - 2(10)= 1}

Is it ≡ to 3 because 7 by 3 gives you 1 like in the case of 1/3.

but I'm not multiplying 7^(-1) by 3?

If someone could help me understand this it would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:
Sorry,
This isn't a homework question. I'm just having trouble understanding some of the notes I've taken down.I'd really appreciate if some of you could help me understand this.

1/3 is that number with the property

(1/3)(3) = 1

what is 7^(-1) mod 10?

7^(-1) ≡ 3 mod 10

because 7 * 3 ≡ 1 {21 - 2(10)= 1}

Is it ≡ to 3 because 7 by 3 gives you 1 like in the case of 1/3.

but I'm not multiplying 7^(-1) by 3?

If someone could help me understand this it would be really appreciated.

Well, the explanation depends on what you want to use a starting point. If you want to start from the answer, [itex] 7^{-1} ≡ 3 mod 10 [/itex] and just check that it is correct, it is quick. We just multiply both sides and check if they are equal, modulo 10. The left side is [itex] 7 \times 7^{-1} =1 [/itex]
and the right side is 7 x 3 = 21 which is indeed 1 modulo 10. So that checks out.

Now, let's say we did not know the answer. Then we could start with

[tex] 7 \times \frac{1}{7} =1 \text{ mod } 10 [/tex]
We want an integer value for [itex]1/7 [/itex] modulo 10 and of course it won't work if we use 1 as the right hand side. So we now try the next possibility for 1 mod 10, which is 11. So we have

[tex] 7 \times \frac{1}{7} = 11 \text{ mod } 10 [/tex]

Again, we get a non integer solution. We try the next possibility for 1 mod 10, which is 21. So now we have

[tex] 7 \times \frac{1}{7} = 21 \text{ mod } 10 [/tex]

and we get

[tex] \frac{1}{7} = 3 \text{ mod } 10 [/tex]

Likes 1 person
nrqed said:
Well, the explanation depends on what you want to use a starting point. If you want to start from the answer, [itex] 7^{-1} ≡ 3 mod 10 [/itex] and just check that it is correct, it is quick. We just multiply both sides and check if they are equal, modulo 10. The left side is [itex] 7 \times 7^{-1} =1 [/itex]
and the right side is 7 x 3 = 21 which is indeed 1 modulo 10. So that checks out.

Now, let's say we did not know the answer. Then we could start with

[tex] 7 \times \frac{1}{7} =1 \text{ mod } 10 [/tex]
We want an integer value for [itex]1/7 [/itex] modulo 10 and of course it won't work if we use 1 as the right hand side. So we now try the next possibility for 1 mod 10, which is 11. So we have

[tex] 7 \times \frac{1}{7} = 11 \text{ mod } 10 [/tex]

Again, we get a non integer solution. We try the next possibility for 1 mod 10, which is 21. So now we have

[tex] 7 \times \frac{1}{7} = 21 \text{ mod } 10 [/tex]

and we get

[tex] \frac{1}{7} = 3 \text{ mod } 10 [/tex]

Thanks, I understand it a lot better now.

To check if 7-1=3 mod 10, apply modular arithmetic when multiplying i with 7:

3(mod 10) x 7(mod 10) =1 mod 10 ehild

Another way of doing it: if x= 7-1 (mod 10) then 7x= 1 (mod 10). Now you could try x= 0 to 9 to see which works.

Or you could write 7x= 1+ 10n for some integer n. That is the same as 7x- 10n= 1, a "Diophantine" equation.

Use the "Euclidean algorithm" to solve that equation-
7 divides into 10 once, with remainder 3: 10- 1(7)= 3.
3 divides into 7 twice, with remainder 1: 7- 2(3)= 1.

Replace that "3" with "10- 7" from the previous equation: 7- 2(10- 7)= 3(7)- 2(10)= 1.

So one solution to 7x- 10n= 1 is x= 3, n= 2 which tells us that 3(7)= 1 (mod 10) and that 7-1= 3 (mod 10).

HallsofIvy said:
Another way of doing it: if x= 7-1 (mod 10) then 7x= 1 (mod 10). Now you could try x= 0 to 9 to see which works.

Or you could write 7x= 1+ 10n for some integer n. That is the same as 7x- 10n= 1, a "Diophantine" equation.

Use the "Euclidean algorithm" to solve that equation-
7 divides into 10 once, with remainder 3: 10- 1(7)= 3.
3 divides into 7 twice, with remainder 1: 7- 2(3)= 1.

Replace that "3" with "10- 7" from the previous equation: 7- 2(10- 7)= 3(7)- 2(10)= 1.

So one solution to 7x- 10n= 1 is x= 3, n= 2 which tells us that 3(7)= 1 (mod 10) and that 7-1= 3 (mod 10).

Thanks, my lecturer just showed us this method today.

What is modular mathematics?

Modular mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and operations of numbers when they are reduced or "modded" by a specific number, called a modulus. This is often used in cryptography, computer science, and other fields.

What is 7^(-1) mod 10?

7^(-1) mod 10 is the inverse of 7 modulo 10. This means finding the number that, when multiplied by 7, gives a remainder of 1 when divided by 10. In this case, the answer is 3, because 7 x 3 = 21, and 21 divided by 10 leaves a remainder of 1.

Why do we use modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is useful for many applications, such as encryption and coding theory. It allows us to perform calculations on very large numbers without having to deal with their exact values, making it more efficient and practical.

How do you find the inverse of a number mod a given modulus?

To find the inverse of a number mod a given modulus, you can use the Extended Euclidean algorithm. This algorithm involves finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of the number and the modulus, and then using a series of steps to calculate the inverse. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or computer program to perform the calculation.

Can 7^(-1) mod 10 be negative?

No, 7^(-1) mod 10 cannot be negative. The modulus operation always results in a positive number, so the inverse of 7 modulo 10 will always be a positive number. In this case, the answer is 3, which is a positive number.