1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular bionics vs. mechatronics - can't decide

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    Hi!

I'm currently in 12th grade here in Hungary (= last year of high school), and have to decide which university I want to go to, and which course I want to take.
    I'm mainly interested in physics and a bit less in biology, programming and math. Don't get me wrong I like those as well, but if I had to chose just one it'd be physics. Anyway, I heard that there's a greater future for molecular bionics, so I should go there; but then again, molecular bionics doesn't have as much physics in it as mechatronics, and I'd regret that very much.
    So please, if anyone has any suggestions as to which one I should chose and why, that'd be very much appreciated.

Also, perhaps there are alternatives? I was thinking about starting one, and starting the other half a year / a year later, and doing them parallel. Would that be worth it? I mean does having both degrees really give a much bigger advantage in getting good jobs than just one? Unfortunately I only get to go to one of the for free. Or perhaps I could go to bionics and study extra physics on my own? I'm not so sure about the depth of that studying...

Thanks in advance,
    -Tusike

PS: Sorry for my english, e.g. by "course" I mean like a field to get a job in as in the two mentioned in the topic.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

My best advice to almost any student would be to choose a broad program (physics is good), so you get good foundations before deciding on your specialization. It's not easy to know beforehand if you're going to like the subject until you actually study it at the higher level. For the same reason, it's good to try other things, you might not know you like something yet.

If you intend to do anything science-rated, you can't really go wrong studying physics and math. Even if you go into some other field it's a good foundation to build on.

Jó szerencsét!

4. Sep 10, 2010 #3

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go as a physician and then chose between molecular bionics and mechatronics. It just seems to me like an awful lot of time before I get a masters in one of the latters.

5. Sep 10, 2010 #4
    "Anyway, I heard that there's a greater future for molecular bionics, so I should go there; but then again, molecular bionics doesn't have as much physics in it as mechatronics, and I'd regret that very much."

Are they hiring mechatronic or molecular-bionical (I'm sure that's not even a word) engineers in Hungary?

6. Sep 11, 2010 #5
    Mechatronic engineers, yes, the other one I don't think so since it's so new that no one has completed the course yet (at least here); but I didn't say anything about wanting to work in Hungary:)

7. Sep 12, 2010 #6
    Personally, I would stay within an established discipline, eg Mechanical engineering.

The classics never go out of style.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook