Electronics and bionics or Mechatronics?

In summary, the person is trying to decide between studying Electronics and Bionics in university. They have a background in industrial automatics and some knowledge in programming and electronic circuits. Mechatronics is a combination of programming, mechanical physics, and understanding circuits and is relevant to many industries. Bionics is related to mechatronics but also involves studying biological organisms and is mostly used in medical technologies. The person is wondering which subject would have better job opportunities after graduation. It is mentioned that mechatronics is more relevant to current industries, while bionics is a future field with ongoing research. However, there may not be as many industry jobs in biotech yet. It is also noted that programming is not typically taught in school but
Tryp
Hello,

I've been accepted to university to both fields that I have chosen, but I can't decide, they both seem good.
The subjects are - Electronics and bionics, Mechatronics.

A little about my backround;

I've graduated in industrial automatics, and know thing or two in programming and I understand electronic circuits. And both fields seem interesting to me.

-

As I've understood, mechatronics is about programming and mechanical physics, also you need to know how circuits work. Basically most industries are based on mechatronics.

Bionics seem to be very related to mechatronics, but they don't teach programming there.
On the other hand the subject digs into biological organisms and ties it with electronics, so it's mostly work in medical technologies.

What I'm asking, is, which subject would have potential for work after graduating?

Thanks for reading the whole thing:blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechatronics might be more relevant to the current industries, but biotech and thus also bionics are future fields, which have ongoing research. But I'd guess there are not many industry jobs in biotech yet, it's mostly research at this point.

Depends on what you want to do and know/study really.

And what comes to programming, it's not really taught or learned in school, but rather by doing it.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between electronics and bionics?

Electronics refers to the study and application of electronic devices and systems, while bionics involves the study of biological systems and the design of artificial systems that mimic them. In other words, electronics deals with man-made technology, while bionics focuses on adapting natural systems for human use.

2. How does mechatronics combine electronics and mechanical engineering?

Mechatronics is a field that combines elements of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science to design and create smart systems. It involves integrating electronic components, sensors, actuators, and control systems with mechanical structures to create complex machines that can perform automated tasks.

3. What are some real-world applications of electronics and bionics?

Electronics and bionics have a wide range of applications, including medical devices such as pacemakers and prosthetics, robotics, artificial intelligence, and bio-inspired technology like self-cleaning surfaces. They are also used in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing for automation and control purposes.

4. What skills are needed to work in the field of electronics and bionics?

Working in electronics and bionics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. It also involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to understand and interpret complex systems. Practical skills in circuit design, programming, and mechanical design are also important for success in this field.

5. How is the field of mechatronics impacting our daily lives?

Mechatronics has had a significant impact on our daily lives, from the technology we use to the products we consume. It has made our lives more convenient and efficient through the development of smart devices, automation in manufacturing, and advancements in medical technology. Mechatronic systems are also being used to improve safety and sustainability in transportation and energy production.