1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The move from mechatronics to medical engineering, tough?

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1

Femme_physics

Gold Member

After getting my practical engineer degree in mechatronics, I wanna get on with a first degree in medical engineering. The reason I'm doing mechatronics first has to do with strange admission requirements for medical engineering, and doing a mechatronic practical engineer is my way of doing a shortcut and that way I could avoid a lot of silly admission requirements from those without a practical engineer degree. What do you think? Does it look like the right way of doing things? How close is medical engineering to mechatronics? Or is the biology-chemistry knowledge in med-engineering is massive and valuable, so things are very different?

I really want to apply the use of machines to better humans suffering medical conditions. (Restore eyesight, build a bionic hand, etc). Studying mechatronics, I really feel kinda detached from all this to the point it can sometimes make me depressed :frown:

And yet, most of the time I ignore that, and just focus on the basics we're studying. Physics. I love losing myself in the material, seeing vectors and calculations, math and the simple way things work. That's pretty exciting! My only problem is, that after taking a step back, I always get sad.

I am about to start my 3rd and final semester of the first year. And my heart is aching. Can you heal it, and show me maybe that the gap is shorter than I think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

I'm not or have studied any engineering let alone medical engineering (I think in western countries they call it biomedical engineering) just so you know.

However the kind of things you are describing are going to somewhat multidisciplinary. Electrical and computer engineers would probably be involved in chip design, material scientists may try and find ways to design specific materials for whatever application they have in mind.

On top of things like that, you have the "medicine" specific fields like biology and chemistry (and related fields) that work on specific things in that context.

I guess what I'm trying to say to you is to find out the more specific roles involved in medical engineering so you can at least be aware of you need to do and also be sure that the role is actually what you thought it would be (this is an important thing for anyone, because as you know thoughts can be deceiving!)

4. Jul 3, 2011 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All the courses I have observed you asking questions about, are very relevant to medical (or biomedical) engineering as well as mechatronics. The first couple of years in any engineering program provide fundamental building blocks you need, to more easily analyze and comprehend the cool stuff coming up in the last two years of the program.

It is interesting that many of the functions of the human body can be reduced to mechanical, electrical (and chemical) relationships. The first two you are finding, can be described using the language of maths. With patience, this will all come together :smile:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. Jul 3, 2011 #4

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Thanks for the encouragement guys :smile: It really eased my thoughts. I'll have patience :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook