The move from mechatronics to medical engineering, tough?

In summary, the author is considering doing a first degree in medical engineering, and mechatronics is a way to do a shortcut and avoid some silly admission requirements. He is about to start his third and final semester of the first year and his heart is aching. Can you heal it, and show him that the gap is shorter than he thinks? The author is not or has studied any engineering, just biomedical engineering, so you can understand that the roles involved in medical engineering are more specific. The author is finding that math, physics, and material science can all be described using language of math, and that with patience, this will all come together.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
After getting my practical engineer degree in mechatronics, I want to get on with a first degree in medical engineering. The reason I'm doing mechatronics first has to do with strange admission requirements for medical engineering, and doing a mechatronic practical engineer is my way of doing a shortcut and that way I could avoid a lot of silly admission requirements from those without a practical engineer degree. What do you think? Does it look like the right way of doing things? How close is medical engineering to mechatronics? Or is the biology-chemistry knowledge in med-engineering is massive and valuable, so things are very different?

I really want to apply the use of machines to better humans suffering medical conditions. (Restore eyesight, build a bionic hand, etc). Studying mechatronics, I really feel kinda detached from all this to the point it can sometimes make me depressed :frown:

And yet, most of the time I ignore that, and just focus on the basics we're studying. Physics. I love losing myself in the material, seeing vectors and calculations, math and the simple way things work. That's pretty exciting! My only problem is, that after taking a step back, I always get sad.

I am about to start my 3rd and final semester of the first year. And my heart is aching. Can you heal it, and show me maybe that the gap is shorter than I think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not or have studied any engineering let alone medical engineering (I think in western countries they call it biomedical engineering) just so you know.

However the kind of things you are describing are going to somewhat multidisciplinary. Electrical and computer engineers would probably be involved in chip design, material scientists may try and find ways to design specific materials for whatever application they have in mind.

On top of things like that, you have the "medicine" specific fields like biology and chemistry (and related fields) that work on specific things in that context.

I guess what I'm trying to say to you is to find out the more specific roles involved in medical engineering so you can at least be aware of you need to do and also be sure that the role is actually what you thought it would be (this is an important thing for anyone, because as you know thoughts can be deceiving!)

All the courses I have observed you asking questions about, are very relevant to medical (or biomedical) engineering as well as mechatronics. The first couple of years in any engineering program provide fundamental building blocks you need, to more easily analyze and comprehend the cool stuff coming up in the last two years of the program.

It is interesting that many of the functions of the human body can be reduced to mechanical, electrical (and chemical) relationships. The first two you are finding, can be described using the language of maths. With patience, this will all come together :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement guys :smile: It really eased my thoughts. I'll have patience :smile:

I understand your desire to combine your knowledge in mechatronics with medical engineering to improve the lives of those suffering from medical conditions. It is commendable that you are seeking ways to bridge the gap between these two fields and find a way to use machines to benefit humans in the medical field.

In terms of the admission requirements for medical engineering, I would suggest speaking with an academic advisor or someone in the field to better understand the reasons behind them. It is possible that the biology and chemistry knowledge required in medical engineering is essential for understanding the complexities of the human body and how it interacts with machines. However, your background in mechatronics will also be valuable in this field, as it provides a strong foundation in the mechanics and functioning of machines.

It is understandable that you may feel a bit detached from the medical aspect of your studies in mechatronics, but it is important to remember that everything in the field of science and engineering is interconnected. The principles of physics and math that you are learning now will be applicable in medical engineering as well. In fact, many advancements in medical technology, such as bionic limbs, rely heavily on principles of mechatronics.

My advice would be to continue focusing on the basics and building a strong foundation in mechatronics. As you progress in your studies, you will likely see more connections between the two fields and may even have the opportunity to work on projects that combine both. Don't let your initial feelings of detachment discourage you, as your passion for improving lives through technology is a valuable asset in the field of medical engineering.

I cannot heal your heart, but I can assure you that the gap between mechatronics and medical engineering is not as wide as you may think. With dedication and determination, you can use your knowledge and skills in mechatronics to make a meaningful impact in the medical field. Keep pushing forward and never stop seeking ways to use your talents for the greater good.

1. What is mechatronics and how does it relate to medical engineering?

Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles of mechanical engineering, electronics, and computer science to design and develop complex systems. Medical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on applying engineering principles to the healthcare industry. The move from mechatronics to medical engineering involves using the knowledge and skills from mechatronics to design and develop medical devices and equipment.

2. What are the benefits of combining mechatronics and medical engineering?

The combination of mechatronics and medical engineering allows for the development of innovative and advanced medical devices that can greatly improve patient care. Mechatronics brings expertise in designing and controlling complex systems, while medical engineering brings knowledge of healthcare regulations and patient needs. This collaboration can result in more efficient and effective medical devices.

3. What are some examples of medical devices created through mechatronics and medical engineering?

Some examples of medical devices created through mechatronics and medical engineering include robotic surgical systems, prosthetic limbs with advanced sensors and actuators, and drug delivery systems with precise control mechanisms. These devices have greatly improved patient outcomes and have revolutionized the healthcare industry.

4. What are the challenges of transitioning from mechatronics to medical engineering?

The move from mechatronics to medical engineering can be challenging as it requires a deep understanding of both fields. It also involves navigating through complex healthcare regulations and standards. Additionally, medical engineering requires a strong focus on patient safety and reliability, which may not be as critical in other mechatronics applications.

5. What are the future possibilities for mechatronics and medical engineering?

The future possibilities for mechatronics and medical engineering are endless. With the advancement of technology and the increasing demand for innovative medical devices, there is great potential for new and improved devices to be developed. This field also offers opportunities for research and development in areas such as artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, and biotechnology, which can further revolutionize the healthcare industry.