Molecular mass of gaseous compound question

In summary, a gaseous binary compound has a vapor density that is 1.94 times that of oxygen at the same temperature and pressure. When 1.39g of the gas is burned in an excess of oxygen, 1.21g water is formed, removing all the hydrogen originally present. The molecular mass of the compound is 30.8g/mol and the maximum possible atomic mass of the second element in the compound is 62.1g/mol.
Analog711

Homework Statement

"A gaseous binary compound has a vapor density that is 1.94 times that of oxygen at the same temperature and pressure. When 1.39g of the gas is burned in an excess of oxygen, 1.21 g water is formed, removing all the hydrogen originally present.

(a) Estimate the molecular mass of the gaseous compound.
(b)How many hydrogen atoms are there in a molecule of the compound?
(c) What is the maximum possible value of the atomic mass of the second element in the compound?
(d) Are other values possible for the atomic mass of the second element? Use a table of atomic masses to identify the element that best fits the data.
(e) What is the molecular formula of the compound? "

p.47 question 29 out of "Principles of Modern Chemistry" (Authored by: Oxtoby Gillis Campion).

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at this solution I do not believe is worth writing.

This is not work assigned from a college course, I am simply trying to study chemistry independently.

With this question, I have not been able to find an effective approach to yield a correct solution. Help provided will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a)Use the relative Vapor density given. The answer is in front of your eyes.

I used the "1.94 times" information given from the problem to find the molecular mass of the compound after finding the vapor density formula on wikipedia.
(32g/mol O2/2.016g/mol H2) = 15.873
15.873*1.94 = 30.8 .
30.8 *2.016 = 62.1 g/mol (molar mass of the gaseous binary compound)

So I have completed a), but I am now unable to find out the number of H atoms.
How do I go about this?

I have found the number of g H in the gaseous binary compound : .0677 g H , but from there I do not know where to go.

How many moles of the compound? How many moles of hydrogen per one mole of the compound?

(62.1g/mol / 1.39g [binary gaseous compound] ) = 44.6 mol binary gaseous compound

1.21g H2O * (1.008g/18.016g) * (1 mol H/ 1.008g H) = 0.0672 mol H

Analog711 said:
(62.1g/mol / 1.39g [binary gaseous compound] ) = 44.6 mol binary gaseous compound

1.21g H2O * (1.008g/18.016g) * (1 mol H/ 1.008g H) = 0.0672 mol H

You are twice wrong. You approach from the right side, but you miss details or get it reversed.

Borek, correct, I have since reworked my calculations.

a) 62.1g/mol
b)
1.21g H2O * (1 mol H2O / 18.016 g H2O) * (2 mol H/ 1 mol H2O) = .134 mol H
1.39g [compound] * (1 mol [compound] / 62.1 g) = .0224 mol [compound]

.134 mol H/ .0224 mol [compound] = 5.98 , approx. 6
thus 6 hdron atoms in a molecule of this gaseous binary compound

c) 6 * 1.008 g H = 6.048
62.1-6.048=56.052

d) 56.052/2 = 28.026
Silicon fits or Nitrogen

e) thus with 6 Hydrogen atoms and 2 Silicon atoms the molecular formula is
Si2H6

I have checked with the appendix of the book and the answers are correct.

Thanks to Borek and AGNuke. Very much appreciated here.

1. What is the molecular mass of a gaseous compound?

The molecular mass of a gaseous compound refers to the total mass of all the atoms present in one molecule of the compound. It is usually expressed in units of atomic mass units (amu) or grams per mole (g/mol).

2. How is the molecular mass of a gaseous compound calculated?

The molecular mass of a gaseous compound is calculated by adding the mass of each individual atom present in the molecule. This can be determined by looking at the periodic table, where the atomic mass of each element is listed.

3. Why is the molecular mass of a gaseous compound important?

The molecular mass of a gaseous compound is important because it can help determine the physical and chemical properties of the compound. It can also be used to calculate other important parameters, such as molar mass and molar volume.

4. Can the molecular mass of a gaseous compound vary?

Yes, the molecular mass of a gaseous compound can vary depending on the isotopes of the elements present in the molecule. Isotopes have different masses due to variations in the number of neutrons in the nucleus of an atom.

5. How does the molecular mass of a gaseous compound relate to its density?

The molecular mass of a gaseous compound is directly proportional to its density. This means that as the molecular mass increases, so does the density of the compound. This relationship is known as the ideal gas law, which states that at constant temperature and pressure, the density of a gas is directly proportional to its molecular mass.