How many moles of LiH are needed to make LiAlH4?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter BittersweetLove
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculations Moles
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
BittersweetLove
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement





*How many moles of LiH are required to make 1 mole of LiAlH4?


* 6 moles of LiH will produce how many moles of LiAlH4?


Can someone help me get started on these?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You start by writing the balancing the relevant equation. Can you do that for the above reaction?
 
I am learning the same stuff in class, I can clearly see from what is written that there is a 4 to 1 ratio, so I think we get 1.5 moles. What I don't see is how the equation works. I wrote it out and somethings seems missing.
LiH + Alxx ----> LiAlH4 + xx
I got myself a bit confused, should there be something for xx or is it just Al?

P.S. I would not normally encroach on someone elses question, but since two weeks have passed, I figured it would be ok.
 
Last edited:
Good thinking. Alxx is actually [itex]AlCl_3[/itex].