Momemuntum of bodies at right angles

  • Thread starter Thread starter aurao2003
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angles bodies
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
aurao2003
Messages
122
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi
Can someone help with this problem.
2 particles of mass 30g and 40g respectively both travel at a speed of 35m/s in directions at right angles. The 2 particles collide and stick together. Calculate their speed after impact.



Homework Equations


MaVa + MbVb =(Ma + Mb)v
v= common velocity



The Attempt at a Solution


I am not sure how to start. Solving the total momentum before and total momentum after gives the original speed. I then resolved the respective velocities. But that means I got my final value without consideration of the masses! Finally, I resolved the masses into forces, but still didnt get anywhere. Where I am going wrong? Please advice
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aurao2003 said:

Homework Equations


MaVa + MbVb =(Ma + Mb)v
v= common velocity

Since they impact at right angles, that means that you have momentum in two directions, x and y.

So for the x-direction you would have

MaVax + MbVbx =(Ma + Mb)vx

and Vbx=0.

Do the same with the momentum in the y-direction and then you know the resultant velocity is given by

[tex]v=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}[/tex]
 
rock.freak667 said:
Since they impact at right angles, that means that you have momentum in two directions, x and y.

So for the x-direction you would have

MaVax + MbVbx =(Ma + Mb)vx

and Vbx=0.

Do the same with the momentum in the y-direction and then you know the resultant velocity is given by

[tex]v=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}[/tex]
Thanks a lot.