Momemuntum of bodies at right angles

In summary, the problem involves two particles of different masses colliding at right angles and sticking together. By using the equations for total momentum before and after the collision, the final velocity can be calculated. The resultant velocity can be found by combining the momentum in the x and y directions.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Hi
Can someone help with this problem.
2 particles of mass 30g and 40g respectively both travel at a speed of 35m/s in directions at right angles. The 2 particles collide and stick together. Calculate their speed after impact.

Homework Equations

MaVa + MbVb =(Ma + Mb)v
v= common velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to start. Solving the total momentum before and total momentum after gives the original speed. I then resolved the respective velocities. But that means I got my final value without consideration of the masses! Finally, I resolved the masses into forces, but still didnt get anywhere. Where I am going wrong? Please advice

Physics news on Phys.org
aurao2003 said:

Homework Equations

MaVa + MbVb =(Ma + Mb)v
v= common velocity

Since they impact at right angles, that means that you have momentum in two directions, x and y.

So for the x-direction you would have

MaVax + MbVbx =(Ma + Mb)vx

and Vbx=0.

Do the same with the momentum in the y-direction and then you know the resultant velocity is given by

[tex]v=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}[/tex]

rock.freak667 said:
Since they impact at right angles, that means that you have momentum in two directions, x and y.

So for the x-direction you would have

MaVax + MbVbx =(Ma + Mb)vx

and Vbx=0.

Do the same with the momentum in the y-direction and then you know the resultant velocity is given by

[tex]v=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}[/tex]
Thanks a lot.

What is momentum of bodies at right angles?

Momentum of bodies at right angles refers to the combined motion of two objects that are moving in perpendicular directions. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass and velocity of both objects.

How is momentum of bodies at right angles calculated?

The momentum of bodies at right angles is calculated by multiplying the mass of one object by its velocity, and then multiplying the mass of the other object by its velocity. These two values are then added together to get the total momentum of the system.

What is the conservation of momentum in regards to bodies at right angles?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This holds true for bodies at right angles as well.

How does momentum affect the motion of bodies at right angles?

The momentum of each individual body at right angles will remain constant, but the direction of the total momentum will change as the bodies interact. This results in a change in the motion of the bodies, such as a curved or circular path.

What are some real-life examples of bodies at right angles affecting momentum?

A common example of bodies at right angles affecting momentum is a billiard ball hitting another ball at a 90 degree angle. The first ball will transfer some of its momentum to the second ball, causing it to move in a different direction. Another example is a car turning a corner, where the momentum of the car is directed at a right angle to the direction of the turn.