Moment / CG question regarding a bicycle

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if the back of a bicycle will lift off the ground when the front brake is locked at a speed of 2m/s. The key factors to consider are the weight distribution and the moment force around the front axle, as well as the location of the center of gravity. Assuming a static coefficient of friction, the center of gravity can be found by calculating the equal moment of the total weight compared to just the rear weight around the front. Any help with this investigation is greatly appreciated.
JohnNova
Hi,

Lets say that we have a 2 wheel bicycle riding at 2m/s. The weight distribution on this bicycle implies that the front wheel is exerting a total of 400N on the ground, whilst the back is exerting 560N.

How would I work out whether at this speed if I were to lock up the front brake, provided it didn’t skid, the rear of the bicycle would lift off the ground?

How would I work out the moment force… Where would I be measuring to… where would I define the CG (centre of gravity) to be?

I am working on an investigation and ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the moment about the front axle, and assume a static coefficient of friction. The CG can be found by finding the equal moment the total weight produced compared to just the rear, summing them about the front.

I would approach this question by using the principles of mechanics and the laws of motion. First, I would calculate the total weight of the bicycle by adding the forces exerted by the front and back wheels (400N + 560N = 960N). This weight would act as the downward force on the bicycle, with the center of gravity located somewhere along the frame of the bike.

Next, I would consider the forces acting on the bike when the front brake is locked. In this scenario, the only force acting on the front wheel would be the friction force from the ground, while the back wheel would continue to exert its full force of 560N. This would create a moment force on the bike, causing it to rotate around its center of gravity.

To determine whether the rear of the bike would lift off the ground, I would need to calculate the moment force and compare it to the moment of the weight of the bike. The moment force can be calculated by multiplying the force exerted by the back wheel (560N) by the distance from the center of gravity to the back wheel. This distance can be estimated by measuring the length of the bike frame from the front wheel to the center of gravity.

If the calculated moment force is greater than the moment of the weight of the bike, then the rear of the bike would lift off the ground. This would indicate that the bike is not stable in this scenario and the rider should be cautious when applying the front brake at this speed.

In summary, to determine the moment force and the stability of the bike in this scenario, you would need to calculate the weight of the bike, the distance from the center of gravity to the back wheel, and compare the moment force to the moment of the weight. I hope this helps with your investigation. Best of luck!

1. What is the moment of a bicycle?

The moment of a bicycle, also known as the torque or turning force, is the measure of the force that causes rotational motion. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of a bicycle calculated?

The moment of a bicycle can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. The equation is M = Fd, where M is the moment, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the center of gravity (CG) of a bicycle?

The center of gravity (CG) of a bicycle is the point where the weight of the bicycle and rider is evenly distributed. It is usually located near the bottom bracket, where the pedals and crank arms are connected, and can vary depending on the weight distribution of the rider.

4. Why is the center of gravity (CG) important for a bicycle?

The center of gravity (CG) is important for a bicycle because it affects its stability and handling. A lower CG makes the bicycle more stable, while a higher CG can make it more difficult to balance and steer. It is also important for maintaining control while making turns and riding on uneven terrain.

5. How does the center of gravity (CG) affect the stability of a bicycle?

The center of gravity (CG) plays a crucial role in the stability of a bicycle. A lower CG increases stability by lowering the overall center of mass, making it harder for the bicycle to tip over. On the other hand, a higher CG decreases stability and can make the bicycle more prone to tipping over. Proper weight distribution and a lower overall CG can greatly improve the stability of a bicycle.