1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment / CG question regarding a bicycle

1. Aug 17, 2006 #1
    Hi,

Lets say that we have a 2 wheel bicycle riding at 2m/s. The weight distribution on this bicycle implies that the front wheel is exerting a total of 400N on the ground, whilst the back is exerting 560N.

How would I work out whether at this speed if I were to lock up the front brake, provided it didn’t skid, the rear of the bicycle would lift off the ground?

How would I work out the moment force… Where would I be measuring to… where would I define the CG (centre of gravity) to be?

I am working on an investigation and ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2006 #2
    You need to find the moment about the front axle, and assume a static coefficient of friction. The CG can be found by finding the equal moment the total weight produced compared to just the rear, summing them about the front.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?