Tangental Velocity and Bicycle Wheel Radii

In summary, the conversation discusses a solved problem involving a multispeed bicycle and the calculation of the radius of the rear sprocket for a given tangential speed. The conversation also mentions the relationship between tangential speeds on the front and rear sprockets, and the role of the chain in maintaining equal tangential speeds.
sciencegem
Hi guys,

This is the silliest thing. I actually solved problem and got the correct answer, but now I'm not sure that my logic was sound--or even what my logic really was!

1. Homework Statement

While riding a multispeed bicycle, the rider can select the radius of the rear sprocket that is fixed to the rear axle. The front sprocket of a bicycle has radius A cm. If the angular speed of the front sprocket is B rev/s , what is the radius of the rear sprocket for which the tangential speed of a point on the rim of the rear wheel will be C m/s ? The rear wheel has radius D m .

Homework Equations

Honestly, w=v/r is the only one that comes to mind.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't want to be overly specific about the my equations because this is a Mastering Physics question and I don't want to spoil it, but ultimately I solved it using the above equation and the idea that the tangental speed of the front sprocket and the tangental speed of the back sprocket are equal. Problem is silly me, I'm not sure why I assumed that and I've having trouble visualizing whether it's true. I know (well, think I know) that the centre of mass of both wheels must be moving with the same translational velocity (if that's the right term), so I think that's the idea I was getting at when I solved it, but I'm not really sure how that concept relates to tangental speed. I guess the meat of it is, I'm flummoxed by how the different kinds of speeds of the respective wheels relate to themselves and each other...I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, if anyone wants me to clarify or provide more details please let me know. Thanks for reading this!

D.

Physics news on Phys.org
sciencegem said:
Hi guys,

This is the silliest thing. I actually solved problem and got the correct answer, but now I'm not sure that my logic was sound--or even what my logic really was!

1. Homework Statement

While riding a multispeed bicycle, the rider can select the radius of the rear sprocket that is fixed to the rear axle. The front sprocket of a bicycle has radius A cm. If the angular speed of the front sprocket is B rev/s , what is the radius of the rear sprocket for which the tangential speed of a point on the rim of the rear wheel will be C m/s ? The rear wheel has radius D m .

Homework Equations

Honestly, w=v/r is the only one that comes to mind.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't want to be overly specific about the my equations because this is a Mastering Physics question and I don't want to spoil it, but ultimately I solved it using the above equation and the idea that the tangental speed of the front sprocket and the tangental speed of the back sprocket are equal. Problem is silly me, I'm not sure why I assumed that and I've having trouble visualizing whether it's true. I know (well, think I know) that the centre of mass of both wheels must be moving with the same translational velocity (if that's the right term), so I think that's the idea I was getting at when I solved it, but I'm not really sure how that concept relates to tangental speed. I guess the meat of it is, I'm flummoxed by how the different kinds of speeds of the respective wheels relate to themselves and each other...I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, if anyone wants me to clarify or provide more details please let me know. Thanks for reading this!

D.

The tangential speeds are the same because that's the rate at which the chain is passing over each sprocket. If the rates were different then the chain would be getting stretched or bunched up someplace. Agree?

Likes sciencegem
Dick said:
The tangential speeds are the same because that's the rate at which the chain is passing over each sprocket. If the rates were different then the chain would be getting stretched or bunched up someplace. Agree?

The chain! I totally forgot there even was a chain! Thank you very much. Makes sense now.

1. What is tangential velocity?

Tangential velocity is the speed at which an object moves in a circular path tangent to a point on that path. In other words, it is the speed at which an object is moving in a circle at a specific point along that circle.

2. How is tangential velocity related to bicycle wheel radii?

Tangential velocity is directly proportional to the radius of a bicycle wheel. This means that as the radius of a bicycle wheel increases, the tangential velocity also increases.

3. How does the radius of a bicycle wheel affect the overall speed of the bicycle?

The radius of a bicycle wheel is a key factor in determining the overall speed of a bicycle. As the radius increases, so does the tangential velocity, resulting in a faster overall speed. This is why bicycles with larger wheels are able to travel at higher speeds than those with smaller wheels.

4. What is the formula for calculating tangential velocity?

The formula for calculating tangential velocity is v = rω, where v is the tangential velocity, r is the radius of the circle, and ω is the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating).

5. How can tangential velocity and bicycle wheel radii be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding tangential velocity and bicycle wheel radii can be useful in a variety of real-world situations, such as designing bicycles for optimal speed, calculating the speed of a cyclist during a race, or analyzing the forces acting on a cyclist while riding. This knowledge can also be applied to other rotating objects, such as car tires or amusement park rides.