Moment of a Couple, making sure answer is reasonable

  • Thread starter Thread starter torchflame
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Couple Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
torchflame
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given the following structure, determine the value of F such that the resultant couple moment on the structure is 200 pound-feet clockwise.
hncC9NSl.jpg

I'm not looking for help here per se, just if this is a valid method of solution:
Because the moment of a couple is a free vector, it seems to me that the moments of the two couples can be placed at point B without any problem.
Then it would also make sense to me that: [itex]M_{\text{couple with F}}=F\cdot 2\sqrt{2}[/itex] pound-feet clockwise, and [itex]M_{\text{150 lb couple}}=600\sqrt{2}[/itex] pound-feet counterclockwise, which gives me that [itex]F\cdot 2\sqrt{2}-600\sqrt{2}=-200[/itex], which implies that [itex]F=229 \text{ lb}[/itex].
Is this a valid method of solution? It makes sense to me, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to anyone else.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm very rusty on this but seems to me that you would need to know force at A to use your method. Perhaps I'm wrong.
 
look again at your root 2. It's not quite right. You can check your answer by taking moments about any point.