1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force couples - Finding resultant couple

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The steel plate shown supports six 2 in. - diameter idler rollers mounted on the plate as shown. Two flat belts pass around the rollers, and rollers A and D are adjusted so that the tension in each belt is 10 lb. Determine (a) the resultant couple acting on the plate is a = 8 in., (b) the value of a so that the resultant couple acting on the plate is 480 lbin. clockwise.

It is problem 3.70 in the image.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5109/problem3701.th.jpg [Broken]

Here also is a link to the pdf: "[URL [Broken] title="download file from Jumala Files"]http://jumalafiles.info/showfile2-46942995970229528183533325984723086/problem370.pdf [Broken][/URL]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\vec{M_{C}} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} = \vec{F}d[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{M_{R}} = \vec{M_{1}} + \vec{M_{2}} + \vec{M_{3}} + . . . [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the perpendicular distance in between the lines of action, [tex]d[/tex], for each couple. For the force couple that is horizontal the distance is 16 in. if a is 8 in. and for the angled couple i chose to find the distance between points F and C. Using the Pythagorean theorem if found this distance to be about 22.6 in. Using the right hand rule I found that both moments are clockwise.

Now using [tex]\vec{M_{C}} = \vec{F}d[/tex] and summing all of the moments I find the resultant moment to be 386.3 lbin. which isn't right. What am I doing wrong here?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2
    I figured out part a after looking at the diagram for a while and realizing the signifigance of the diameter of the pulleys. The points on the diagram that I was measuring from are not located on the lines of action but are a pulley's radius away. :smile:

For part two I will set the sum of both of my moments equal to -480lb*in and then put their [tex]d[/tex]'s in terms of a and solve for a.

Are there any flaws in this approach?

Thanks in advance,

KEØM

4. Jun 28, 2009 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you get the right answer yet, or not?

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4
    Sorry nvn, yes I did for both parts.

Thanks for asking,

KEØM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook