1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia and angular acceleration

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the fall height of the mass is doubled, the angular acceleration of the wheel will
    a. decrease by an unkown amount
    b. remain unchanged
    c. decrease by a factor of 2
    d. increase by an unknown amount
    e. increase by a factor of 2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    well since angular acceleration is slope of linear graph and if we double the height(x-axis) I think the angular frequency will remain constant. But maybe I'm wrong. That is why I need help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The description is not complete.
    Fall of what and how is this related to a wheel?

Is this a mass falls onto a wheel, where it stays somehow, and so makes it turn?
    Hint: conservation of energy.

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    its a suspended mass attached to to the hub of a bicycle wheel through a pulley. so basically we release the wheel (which is attached to a table) and it turns from the weight of the suspended mass until the mass reaches the floor.
    Anyways I have come to a new conclusion that the angular acceleration doubles from the height being double.
    I still need confirmation though.

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeh - the final speed is higher, but the time is also longer.
    You need to use the kinematic equations for rotating bodies or conservation of energy if you want a mathematical approach - or you can use your understanding of gravity.

If the mass were free to just fall - not attached to the wheel - how would the acceleration be affected by the distance it has to fall?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted