Moment of inertia and angular acceleration

• Thread starter physicssss
  • Start date

Homework Statement

If the fall height of the mass is doubled, the angular acceleration of the wheel will
a. decrease by an unkown amount
b. remain unchanged
c. decrease by a factor of 2
d. increase by an unknown amount
e. increase by a factor of 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well since angular acceleration is slope of linear graph and if we double the height(x-axis) I think the angular frequency will remain constant. But maybe I'm wrong. That is why I need help.

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If the fall height of the mass is doubled, the angular acceleration of the wheel will
The description is not complete.
Fall of what and how is this related to a wheel?

Is this a mass falls onto a wheel, where it stays somehow, and so makes it turn?
Hint: conservation of energy.

its a suspended mass attached to to the hub of a bicycle wheel through a pulley. so basically we release the wheel (which is attached to a table) and it turns from the weight of the suspended mass until the mass reaches the floor.
Anyways I have come to a new conclusion that the angular acceleration doubles from the height being double.
I still need confirmation though.

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yeh - the final speed is higher, but the time is also longer.
You need to use the kinematic equations for rotating bodies or conservation of energy if you want a mathematical approach - or you can use your understanding of gravity.

If the mass were free to just fall - not attached to the wheel - how would the acceleration be affected by the distance it has to fall?