1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia and Angular Speed

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1
    A top has a moment of inertia of 4.40 10-4 kgm2 and is initially at rest. It is free to rotate about the stationary axis AA'. A string, wrapped around a peg along the axis of the top, is pulled in such a manner as to maintain a constant tension of 5.19 N. If the string does not slip while it is unwound from the peg, what is the angular speed of the top after 80.0 cm of string has been pulled off the peg? (The picture of the top shows it rotating clockwise about a vertical axis A)

This question has me stumped. If someone could point me in the right direction with regards to a concept I need to know or something I would appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: How much work is done by the string?
  4. Nov 2, 2006 #3
    At first I didn't see where you were going, but then I realized that work = change in energy. Which enabled me to use that wonderful equation
    delta K = .5I(final angular velocity^2 - initial angular velocity^2). Thanks for the hint!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?