1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia and angular speed

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle of mass = 19.0 revolving around an axis with angular speed . The perpendicular distance from the particle to the axis is = 0.500 .

2. Relevant equations

I=mr^2
    K=0.5Iw^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I=4.75
    K=1796 which is 0.5*4.75*27.5^2

i know that w is right, this is one of those stupid mastering physics questions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    What exactly is the question?

19 what and 0.5 what?

4. May 2, 2010 #3
    19kg and 0.5m sorry the units were in a picture and didnt copy properly.

5. May 2, 2010 #4
    So what do they want to know about the 19 kg mass?

Its moment of inertia?

6. May 2, 2010 #5
    sorry i should really have checked this before posting. i want to know the kinetic energy of the rotating particle

7. May 2, 2010 #6

ideasrule

Homework Helper

And the angular speed is 27.5 rads/sec? If so, your answer is correct.

8. May 2, 2010 #7
    Ok then...
    Have they given you any info about the rate of rotation? omega? what you are calling w...

ANd I see the poster above me is assuming its is 27.5 rad/s based on what you wrote in the solution?

9. May 2, 2010 #8
    i had to figure that out in an earlier question and the answer is definitely 27.5rad/s. but the KE is not what i calculated.

10. May 2, 2010 #9
    Well if you know the answer you got is wrong, then I or omega or both are wrong. Do you have the entire question?

11. May 2, 2010 #10
    That is the entire question, i calculated I from the given info and omega is definitely right???????????????????????????????????????????

12. May 2, 2010 #11
    So if we are assuming the 19 kg mass is just a point mass, and it making a ciruclar rotation about an axis that is 0.5 meters in radius, then the moment of inertia looks correct to me. So how did you arrive at the angular speed? I dont know if omega or the angular speed is correct...

Do you have the entire question?

If you know the answer you got for the kinetic energy is wrong, then again, either I, or omega, or both are wrong. Because your math to figure out the kinetic energy looks correct to me using your numbers... Just trying to narrrow down what could have gone wrong.

13. May 2, 2010 #12
    ok this is my fault w is actually 55rad/s v is 27.5m/s sorry

14. May 2, 2010 #13
    No problemo.

As long as you figure out what you did incorrectly then all is good :)

Mistakes can be very instructive. And sometimes its just a small thing like forgetting to multply by 2. It might make you feel a whole lot better to know its just a math error and not a conceptual error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook