1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia (Atwood's Machine)

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    Question : The masses of blocks A and B are given M_a and M_b , respectively, the moment of inertia of the wheel about its axis is I , and the radius of the semicircle in which the string moves is R. Assume that there is no slippage between the wheel and the string.
    Also M_a > M_b

a.) Find an expression for the magnitude of the linear acceleration of block B in terms of the linear acceleration a_a ( acceleration of block A ) .

My attempt :
    Using Newton's law of motion
    we have
    g.M_a - T1 = M_a . a_a
    T2 - g.M_b = M_b. a_b , where a_b is the acceleration of block B
    and torque of the pulley : T1.R - T2.R = I (alpha) , where alpha is the angular acceleration

Am I heading the right direction? If so, how could i eliminate both tensions T1 and T2 to get what the question wants ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2
    You're almost there but like all classical Newton's problems you need some constraints to get you all the way there.

Currently you have too many unknown variables, but a couple statements can help you out.

1) The system as a whole (that is block A and block B) move together (assuming a taught string) and so aa = ab = a

2) You will need a constraint that eliminates [tex]\alpha[/tex] with a classical relation to acceleration and radius. I believe, (but am not positive) you can use [tex]\alpha[/tex]= a/r

Now as for getting rid of your tensions, if you re-arrange your torque equation to look like this: [tex]\tau[/tex] net = (T1 - T2)r = I[tex]\alpha[/tex], then you can see that a simple subtraction of your first two equations can be used to substitute the tensions away.

-eq1 - eq2 => (T1 - T2) + (Mbg - Mag) = (-Ma - Mb)a

you can then solve for your (T1 - T2) term and plug it into equation 3. All should work out. Hope this helps,

cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook