Moment of inertia composite body

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
antonov
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Homework Statement
Marginal of 0,5% is OK
Relevant Equations
see picture
I have this moment of inertia problem and is a little confused on the semicircle part and if the rest is really right? I get over 10 if I calculate it in crew CAD but by hand I get 7,568032142. What is right and what am I doing wrong?
Skärmavbild 2021-06-02 kl. 23.56.49.png

20210602-222925-5.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
And more importantly, post all your steps for getting the MoI for the semi-circle about O as that is what you were specifically asking about.
 
I don't really know how to break it down, this is the way we learned it. And then looking up the formulas for MOI in a formula collection.
 
antonov said:
I don't really know how to break it down, this is the way we learned it. And then looking up the formulas for MOI in a formula collection.
For example, how do you arrive at ##(\frac 12-\frac{16}{9\pi^2})2^2##? That is clearly the result of subtracting one term from another. What do those individual terms represent, and what principle are you using to say you should do that subtraction?
 
Skärmavbild 2021-06-03 kl. 23.29.21.png

I got it from this table of MOI we got from our teacher. I was torn because this is 3D and my model is 2D but yeh.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
antonov said:
View attachment 283928
I got it from this table of MOI we got from our teacher. I was torn because this is 3D and my model is 2D but yeh.
Ok. Would have helped if you had posted that table originally.
You have ##d=(3L)^2+(-2+\frac 4{3\pi})^2m_2##.
I think you mean ##d^2=(3L)^2+(-2+\frac 4{3\pi})^2L^2##, but that is not right either. In the formula you are using there is an 'r'.

Some questions:
Is A2 supposed to be the area of the semicircle?
If so, how do you get that value for it?
Why are you adding A3, the area of the removed circle?
Why are you dividing each area by the total area?
 
Last edited:
About A2 yes it's supposed to be the semicircle.
Area of semicircle A=(pi*r^2)/2 The radius is 2L.
A3 is a mistake from my part I saw yesterday total area should be 13.1415926
I divide it so we get the mass och the plate. And then multiply the mass from each area to the I of the same area. Or at least our teacher did it that way so I don't really now why.

The thing is that I tried to look on YouTube but the fact that we learned it another way confuses me to learn the other way.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
antonov said:
I divide it so we get the mass och the plate.
It depends what you are given. Are you given the total mass of the lamina or its density (mass per unit area)?
 
antonov said:
We get that the total mass is m.
So when you write that you get the answer 7,568032142, you mean you get the MoI is 7,568032142 mL2?
 
Just spotted another error.
##d^2=(3L)^2+(-2+\frac {4r}{3\pi})^2L^2## isn't right either.
The displacement from the horizontal line through O to the mass centre of the semicircle is ##\frac {4r}{3\pi}##, not ##-2+\frac {4r}{3\pi}##