Moment of inertia - disk - finding dm

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
O011235813
Messages
11
Reaction score
0



Comments
----------

hey, I am trying to figure out the moment of inertia with respect to various axis. I am, having trouble figuring out how to find out dm.
I know that dm = (rho)*t*dA, but i am having trouble figuring out the t*dA part. i tried using

t*dA = (pi)(r^2)/2
That didn't work. If some1 could help me figure this out i'd be much grateful.

Here is the picture of the disk

[URL=http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=semidiskad3.png][PLAIN]http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/6294/semidiskad3.png[/URL] http://g.imageshack.us/img165/semidiskad3.png/1/ [/PLAIN]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi O011235813! :smile:
O011235813 said:
hey, I am trying to figure out the moment of inertia with respect to various axis. I am, having trouble figuring out how to find out dm.
I know that dm = (rho)*t*dA, but i am having trouble figuring out the t*dA part. i tried using

t*dA = (pi)(r^2)/2
That didn't work. If some1 could help me figure this out i'd be much grateful.

hmm … no replies in almost 24 hours …

so I'm guessing everyone's as confused as I am :confused:

dm is an element of mass, and rho is density, but what are t and dA supposed to be, what shape volume are you considering (the diagram doesn't make it clear), about which axis, and how are you trying to "slice up" this volume for integration?
 
hey,

yeah sorry for the confusing. I figured it out so I'm good now. Thanks for replying back though :D