Setting up a Double Integral for Moment of Inertia

In summary, the problem is to find the Moment of Inertia of a circular disk with uniform density about an axis passing through its center at an angle of $\dfrac{\pi}{6}$ with the plane of the disk. The Moment of Inertia formula is used, which involves an integral of $r^2dm$, where $r$ is the perpendicular distance from the axis and $dm$ is an elemental mass. The disk is assumed to be 2-dimensional with mass per unit area, and a change of variables to cylindrical coordinates is used to simplify the integral. However, this is for an axis perpendicular to the plane and it is not clear how to modify it for the given question. Other approaches such as using tensors or transforming
Better WOrld

Homework Statement

>Problem:<br>Find the Moment of Inertia of a circular disk of uniform density about an axis which passes through the center and makes an angle of $\dfrac{\pi}{6}$ with the plane of the disc.

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia ($I$) is $$\int r^2dm$$ where $r$ is the perpendicular distance from the chosen axis (and can vary) and $dm$ is an elemental mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

I interpreted the disk as a 2 Dimensional structure, hence it has mass per unit area ($\sigma$)

$$dm=\sigma dA$$

Thus, $$I=\int r^2dm=\int \int_A \sigma dA$$
$$$$
Using a change of variables to Cylindrical Co-ordinates,

$$dA=rdrd\theta$$
$$$$
$$\Longrightarrow I=\int\int \sigma r^3 dr d\theta$$
$$$$
However, this is the Integral for finding the Moment of Inertia for an axis perpendicular to the plane of the body. I cannot understand how to modify it for the given question.
$$$$
I would be very grateful if somebody could please solve this question without resorting to differential equations.
Many thanks in anticipation!

PS. This is not a homework question. I came across it while browsing the Web for problems on Moment of Inertia.

PPS. I don't know why the Tex code isn't working on top of the page. I'm really sorry for that.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
Cylindrical coordinates are tricky, as your object does not have this symmetry around the rotation axis. If you want to keep the system where it has this symmetry, you have to modify the r2 factor. It will depend on θ.
Alternatively, work in the system of the axis. Cartesian coordinates there could work.

If you know about tensors, calculate the inertia tensor and do a coordinate transformation.

mfb said:
Cylindrical coordinates are tricky, as your object does not have this symmetry around the rotation axis. If you want to keep the system where it has this symmetry, you have to modify the r2 factor. It will depend on θ.
Alternatively, work in the system of the axis. Cartesian coordinates there could work.

If you know about tensors, calculate the inertia tensor and do a coordinate transformation.

Thank you for your reply, Sir. Sir, I haven't learned Tensor Analysis (I'm yet in the early months of grade 11). Please could you show me how else to approach this problem? Also, could you please explain this line again: "If you want to keep the system where it has this symmetry"? I was unable to understand. How should I modify the r2 factor, Sir?

You can calculate the MOI of a figure about an arbitrary axis by transforming the MOI properties which are determined about the standard coordinate axes.

This article shows how:

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~marghitu/MECH2110/staticsC4.pdf

BTW, such work is usually found in first or second year college courses in calculus or mechanics. I'm not sure you have the requisite math background, being only about halfway thru high school, to understand some of the concepts you need to solve this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
You can calculate the MOI of a figure about an arbitrary axis by transforming the MOI properties which are determined about the standard coordinate axes.

This article shows how:

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~marghitu/MECH2110/staticsC4.pdf

BTW, such work is usually found in first or second year college courses in calculus or mechanics. I'm not sure you have the requisite math background, being only about halfway thru high school, to understand some of the concepts you need to solve this problem.

Thanks Sir. I'll go through the site when I wake up (it is really late here in the night in India).
Actually Sir, Maths (specifically Calculus) is my passion and I've spent a lot of time on it ; I've done till Multivariable Calculus - till Vector Fields and Line Integrals (the basics from Apostol's Books on Calculus). Unfortunately though, I haven't done Differential Equations properly, a drawback I've been trying to rectify...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the object's mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

2. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the moment of inertia of an object. It involves integrating over two variables (usually x and y) to find the moment of inertia about a given axis.

3. How do I set up a double integral for moment of inertia?

To set up a double integral for moment of inertia, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables (x and y). These limits will depend on the shape and dimensions of the object. Then, you need to determine the integrand, which is a function that represents the mass distribution of the object. Finally, you integrate the function over the defined limits to find the moment of inertia.

4. Can a double integral be used for any shape?

Yes, a double integral can be used to calculate the moment of inertia for any shape. However, the limits of integration and the integrand will vary depending on the shape of the object. Some shapes may require more complex integrands or multiple integrals.

5. What are some practical applications of setting up a double integral for moment of inertia?

Setting up a double integral for moment of inertia is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the rotational stability of objects. It is also used in designing structures and machinery to ensure they can withstand rotational forces. Additionally, the concept of moment of inertia is important in analyzing the motion of objects in fields such as robotics, aerospace, and automotive engineering.