1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find my Mistake? (Moment of inertia)

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the moment of inertia of a spherical shell

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I've been mulling over this for about two hours now and haven't figured out where I've made a mistake. Here's what I've done:

I know I can do the integral by doing ##\int ^{r} _{-r} \frac{8}{3}\pi \rho da##, with ##da## a surface element, but I wanted to do it sort of "from scratch" sort of.

I start with ##\int r^2 dm = \int r^2 A(r) dz## and then sub ##R \cos \theta = r## (the distance from ##dm## to ##z##) and ##A(r) = 2 \pi r \rho = 2 \rho\pi R \cos \theta## (circumference of the disk as a function of theta). We then have ##\int ^{R} _{-R} \rho\pi R^3 \cos ^3 \theta dz##. Next we sub in ##dz = \frac{r d \theta}{\cos \theta}## to get ##\int ^{\pi / 2} _{-\pi/2}2 \pi\rho R^4 \cos ^2 \theta d\theta ##. This doesn't come out to the correct expression, clearly.

I know there must be some dumb mistake in there, but I just can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I think your ## R \cos(\theta) ## should be ##R \sin(\theta) ##. Would suggest you use spherical coordinates instead of integrating along z.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  4. Apr 18, 2016 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How are you accounting for the thickness of the shell ?

5. Apr 18, 2016 #4
    I didn't but I shouldn't have to, right? It's a spherical shell of zero thickness.

6. Apr 18, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In that case you will have a hard time if you use a finite density.

7. Apr 18, 2016 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Suggestion: You can let the density ## \delta ## of mass per unit area be ## \delta=M/(4\pi R^2) ## .

8. Apr 18, 2016 #7
    Sure we can get it to work with just ##dm = \frac{M}{A} dA = \frac{M}{A}R d \theta 2 \pi r##, but this contradicts what I had found for it, which was (say ##\rho = 1##)##dm = 2 \pi r dz = 2 \pi (R \cos \theta )(\frac{R d \theta}{\cos\theta})## which leads to the integral after ##r^2## is introduced
    $$\int ^{\pi / 2} _{-\pi/2}2 \pi R^4 \cos ^2 \theta d\theta$$. I guess my problem is seeing why ##dz = R d\theta##.

9. Apr 18, 2016 #8

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The ## dA ## in spherical coordinates is ## dA=R^2 \sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi ##. The ## \phi ## integral is of course ## 2 \pi ##. The distance from the z-axis ## \rho=R \sin(\theta) ##. The integral is straightforward. (Your mistake is ## \cos(\theta) ## should be ## \sin(\theta) ##). Don't forget to include the density ## \delta=M/(4 \pi R^2) ##. I see you basically derived the ## dA ## for spherical coordinates yourself, but that needs to be ## \sin(\theta) ##. Incidentally, ## 2 \pi \rho dz ## is not equal to ## dA ##. (I'm using ## \rho ## in place of your ## r ##.)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  10. Apr 18, 2016 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't give too much help . Let OP do some of this.

11. Apr 18, 2016 #10

Charles Link

Homework Helper

One more input to the OP: (@SammyS I think the OP is trying, but his methodology is clumsy). Would recommend having the ## \theta ## polar coordinate integration go from ## 0 ## to ## \pi ##. That is normally how the spherical coordinates work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted