1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a cross system

1. Apr 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical rods, each with mass 5.00 kg and length 2.00m are welded as shown
    in the figure. If the moment of inertia of a rod about an axis passing through its center is
    Icm = 1/12ML2, what is the moment of inertia of the system of rods about an axis perpendicular
    to the page and passing through point O?

2. Relevant equations
    1/12ML^2, MR^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to get the sum of the two moments of inertia but it gave me none of the choices. Please help I need to understand this for a big test tomorrow cheers :) p6.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Show the details of your attempt.

4. Apr 10, 2016 #3
    1/12ML^2 + 2/3*M(2/3L)^2 + 1/12 ML^2 = and I get 6.29.
    Please explain the question to me because I don't seem to grasp it yet even make a proper solution. thanks

5. Apr 10, 2016 #4

gneill

There are two rods. At first treat them separately. Each one is rotating about the point O which is not their center of mass. Find the moment of inertia of each rod about point O. What theorem will you apply?

6. Apr 10, 2016 #5
    I got it!! But could you exlpain why that is the answer? What I did is I treated the first one as a point particle and applied the parallel axis theorem, then what I did is I added that to the moment of inertia of a rod hence I got 17.222. I got it but I want to understand how and why I got it, could you please explain? Your help is very much appreciated!! Thanks :)

7. Apr 10, 2016 #6

gneill

Check your course text or on the web for "Parallel axis theorem".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted