Moment of inertia of a disc with a hole

In summary, the user has a lamina disc with a radius R and a disc of radius r cut out from its center. The total mass is M. The task is to find the moment of inertia when the lamina rotates about an axis perpendicular to the lamina through its center. The user uses the equation dm = density x area = p 2 pi r dr and the equation for inertia, mr2 = Integration sign ( dIr), to solve the problem. They integrate over thin concentric rings with width dr and then substitute the density equation to get the final equation for I, which is M(R2 + r2)/2.
iva
I think i have this right, but would like to confirm i did the right thing:

Homework Statement

I have a lamina disc radius R with a disc of radius r cut out of it from its centre. Total mass of the actual object is M, Find moment of inertia when lamina rotates about axis perpendicular to the lamina through its centre

Homework Equations

dm = density x area = density x circumference x width = p 2 pi r dr

Inertia = mr2 = Integration sign ( dIr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose to integrate over thin concentric rings with width dr, so that mass of each was

dm = density x area = density x circumference x width = p 2 pi r dr

So that I for each ring about the axis is

dIr = dm r2 = 2 p pi r3 dr

We integrate over all rings that make up this disk ie from radius r to R

So, I = (integral) dIr
= (integral)R to r ( 2 p pi r3 dr)
= 2 p pi (integral)R to r (r3 dr)
= 2 p pi (r4/4)]R to r
= p pi /2 (R4 - r4)

Since the area of this disk with the cutout is pi R2 - pi r2, its density is

p = Mass / area = mass / (pi R2 - pi r2)

Substitute this in the equation for I giving:

I = M pi (R4 - r4) / 2 (pi R2 - pi r2)

since (R4-r4) = (R2+r2)(R2-r2) we can cancel so

I = M (R2 + r2)/2

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything's fine!

thank you !

1. What is the moment of inertia of a disc with a hole?

The moment of inertia of a disc with a hole is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account both the mass and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a disc with a hole calculated?

The moment of inertia of a disc with a hole can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2)MR2, where M is the mass of the disc and R is the radius. This formula assumes that the disc has a uniform density and the axis of rotation passes through the center of the disc.

3. Does the size of the hole in the disc affect its moment of inertia?

Yes, the size of the hole in the disc does affect its moment of inertia. The larger the hole, the lower the moment of inertia will be. This is because the mass is concentrated closer to the axis of rotation, reducing the disc's resistance to rotational motion.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a disc with a hole compare to that of a solid disc?

The moment of inertia of a disc with a hole is typically less than that of a solid disc with the same mass and radius. This is because the material removed to create the hole reduces the overall mass and changes the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a disc with a hole be increased?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a disc with a hole can be increased by adding weight to the rim of the disc or by increasing the radius of the disc. These changes will increase the mass and/or the distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a higher moment of inertia.