Moment of Inertia of a hollow beam inside a rubber shell

In summary: Yes, thanks. So in summary, the addition of the rubber discs to the steel shell will increase the moment of inertia and make the shell less susceptible to bending.
MaxOtis
Hello guys,

I am calculating Bending and Shear stresses in hollow beams. We have a particular kind of shell that we use for impact loading, so we put rubber discs around the steel shell.

So my question is, how will it affect the moment of inertia ? Since I know that the rubber discs will resist to the stress, can I consider only the steel shell in my calculations ?

What do you guys think ?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to provide considerably more information for anyone to make a sensible comment.

In particular why do you think the disks act compositely with the steel?

Thanks for your reply,

I attached a pdf of an impact roller.

The roller is use in conveyor to carry ore/material. More specifically, we use it where we drop the material on the belt.

The reason why we use rubber is to make the load more uniform on the steel shell, without it, their would be huge concentrations of load on small area on the shell and it wouldn't resist a day.

Even with the rubber, the quantity of load supported by the steel shell is obviously the same, and if we make a Free Body Diagram of only the steel shell, I could take the Moment of Inertia of the shell without rubber. Am I right?

EDIT: After consideration, it doesn't really make sense to consider the load only on the steel shell. I am out of idea. The minimum Inertia would be in between 2 rubber discs, but since the load are applied on the top of the discs, I am not sure whether it is assumption to use this value of Inertia for my calculations.

Attachments

• Impact Roller.pdf
    135.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Any Idea ? :uhh:

OK I think you are talking about rotational inertia.

My earlier comment was directed on the assumption of structural bending of the roller.

For rotational inertia the rubber will add significant mass at a significant radius to greatly increase the rotational inertia about the shaft axis.

I assume there is no slip on rotation.

In terms of adding to the shaft stiffness against bending I doubt that even if the rubber was sufficiently shrunk on to the steel to act compositely it would attract much stress, despite its position) simply because of the huge difference in elastic moduli.

Is this making progress?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that measures its resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia for a hollow beam inside a rubber shell can be calculated using the formula: I = ½MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the hollow beam, and R is the radius of the beam.

3. Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is important because it helps in understanding the rotational motion of an object and predicting its behavior. It is also a crucial factor in engineering and design, as it determines the amount of force needed to accelerate or decelerate an object in rotational motion.

4. How does a hollow beam inside a rubber shell affect the moment of inertia?

The presence of a hollow beam inside a rubber shell changes the mass distribution of the object, thus affecting the moment of inertia. The larger the radius of the hollow beam, the greater the moment of inertia will be.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a hollow beam inside a rubber shell be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass distribution of the object or changing the axis of rotation. For a hollow beam inside a rubber shell, the moment of inertia can be changed by varying the radius of the beam or changing the material of the shell.