1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of a non-uniform density paraboloid

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the moment of inertia of a paraboloid f(x,y)=x^2+y^2 whose density function is ρ(r)=cr=dm/dv. use mass M and height H to express your answer

2. The attempt at a solution

I took the double integral ∫∫r^2 ρ r dr dθ to find the I of a single disk as a function of r

Beyond that I need some help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it a three dimensional or a two-dimensional object?
    Explain the notations. What is f(x,y)? What are r and theta?

ehild

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It appears to be a standard notation. If f(x,y) is plotted on the z-axis then the object is the surface of revolution of a parabola (a cross section of the object in any plane containing the z-axis is a parabola).

I'd suggest switching to cylindrical coordinates and expressing r in terms of z (or h since the problem wants the results in terms of Height and Mass). Integrate over h. A mass element is then a ring of radius [itex] \sqrt{h} [/itex] with the appropriate density for that radius.

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gneill, I know it! I asked the OP and wanted him to find it out.

ehild

6. Dec 21, 2011 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

My apologies. Sorry for putting my muddy footprints all over your nice clean thread :blushing:

7. Dec 21, 2011 #6
    Yes, it is standard notation. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I integrated with z=r^2, dz=2rdr

I found c to be (5M)/(2πr^5). Final result was ()MH, can anyone verify this for me?

∫∫r^2 cr r dr dθ =
    c∫∫r^4 dr dθ =
    (c2πr^5)/5
    ∫(c2πr^5)/5 2rdr =
    (c4πr^7)/35

M=∫ρ dv
    V=∫πr^2 dz = ∫πr^2 2r dr = (1/2)πr^4
    dv=2πr^3dr
    M = ∫2πcr^4dr = (2πcr^5)/5
    c = 5M/(2πr^5)

Plugging in c and setting r^2 = H
    (2/7)MH

8. Dec 21, 2011 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You get both I and M by volume integral, integrating with respect to θ, r and z between appropriate bounds. I do not see the bounds of integration. Make them clear, please. I do not think your result for M is correct.

ehild

9. Dec 21, 2011 #8
    Idisk = [itex]
    \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^r r^2\rho\,r\,\mathrm{d}r\,\mathrm{d}\theta
    [/itex]

M = [itex]\int_0^V\rho\,\mathrm{d}v[/itex]

Change of variable to r gives different bound in the next part

M = [itex]2\pi\int_0^r\rho\,r^3\,\mathrm{d}r[/itex]

which I think holds true with the relationship z=r2

10. Dec 22, 2011 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it is not true. z=r2 is true only for one of the boundary surfaces of the paraboloid, not for the whole volume.

You need the mass and the moment of inertia of a paraboloid - a three dimensional object, bounded by surfaces f(x,y)=x^2+y^2 and g(x,y)=H.
    If you integrate with respect to r , the bound of the definite integral can not be r. It has to be a specified value.
    If you use cylindrical system of coordinates, the volume element is dV=rdrdθdz and
    [tex]M=\int_0 ^{r_{max}}\int_{z_1(r)}^{z_2(r)} \int_0 ^{2 \pi}{\rho r d\theta dz dr }[/tex]

Find the proper bounds z1, z2 and rmax. As the integrand depends only on r,

[tex]M=\int_0 ^{r_{max}}{\rho r \left( \int_{z_1(r)}^{z_2(r)}{dz}\right)dr} \int_0 ^{2 \pi}{d\theta }=2\pi \int_0 ^{r_{max}}{ \rho(r) r \left(z_1(r)-z_2(r)\right) dr}[/tex]

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook