Pendulum, Rotational Inertia and Center of mass

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding the center of mass of a system with a rod and attached mass. It is suggested to use the formula ##d = \frac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1 + m_2}##, where the two bodies are the rod and attached mass and the positions are 0.5 m and x, respectively. This simplifies the process and avoids unnecessary integrations.
bieon
Homework Statement
A physical pendulum which is a mass of 0.25 kg and length 1.0 m with an attached mass (0.25 kg) represented by the white circle which can oscillate about the black circle that goes through one end of the rod.

The mass can be moved to different positions on the rod. The distance from the rotation axis to the mass is x.

Use the period formula below to derive the formula for the period T of the physical pendulum as a function
of the distance x.
Relevant Equations
For small-amplitude oscillation, the period of the physical pendulum is theoretically given by

##T=2\pi \sqrt\frac {I}{0.5gd}##

where
##0.5## is the total mass of the physical pendulum (which is composed of the rod and particle), in ##kg##

##g## is the acceleration due to gravity, ##9.8 m/s^2##
Rotation axis

##I## is the rotational inertia of the physical pendulum relative to the rotation axis, in ##kg.m^2##

##d## is the distance from the rotation axis to the centre of mass of the physical pendulum, in ##m##
2020-12-08 (4).png

This is the figure given.

My Attempt

##T=2\pi \sqrt\frac {I}{0.5gd}##

##\frac {m_r} {l} ##
##dm= \frac {m} {l}dx##

##dI = dm_r x^2##
##dI=(\frac {m_r} {l}dx)x^2##
##I= \int_l^0 (\frac {m_r} {l}dx)x^2 \, dx ##

##I_c.m=\frac {m_r l^2}{3}##

##I_,, = \frac {m_r l^2}{3}+m_p x^2##

Given
##m_r=0.25##
##m+p=0.25##
##l=1##

##I_,, = \frac {(0.25 (1)^2}{3}+(0.25) x^2##

##I_,, = \frac {0.25+0.75x^2}{12}##

From here on I got stuck because I have no idea on how to find the d along with the centre of the mass.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bieon said:
From here on I got stuck because I have no idea on how to find the d along with the centre of the mass.
Where's the center of mass of the rod alone? And of the attached mass? Then find the composite center of mass of the system using the definition of center of mass. (Measure the center of mass from the axis of rotation.)

Likes bieon
Doc Al said:
Where's the center of mass of the rod alone? And of the attached mass? Then find the composite center of mass of the system using the definition of center of mass. (Measure the center of mass from the axis of rotation.)

Is this correct?

Centre of Rod:

##l_1= \frac {\int_0^x l dm}{M}##

Where,

##\lambda = \frac {dm} {dl} = \frac {M}{x} ; dm=\lambda dl##

##l_1= \frac {\int_0^x l \lambda dl}{M}##

##l_1= \frac {\int_0^x l \frac {M}{x} dl}{M}##

##l_1= \frac{1}{x} \int_0^x l dl##

##l_1=\frac {1}{x} [\frac {l^2}{2}]_0^x##

##l_1=\frac {x}{2}##

Centre of attached mass:

##\frac {\sum xm}{M}##

##l_2=\frac {m_r \frac{2}{3} + m_p \frac{1}{3}}{M}##

##l_2=\frac {0.25 \frac{2}{3} + 0.25\frac{1}{3}}{0.5}##

##i_2=\frac{1}{4}##

##d=\frac {x}{2} +\frac{1}{4}##

bieon said:
Is this correct?

Centre of Rod:

##l_1= \frac {\int_0^x l dm}{M}##

Where,

##\lambda = \frac {dm} {dl} = \frac {M}{x} ; dm=\lambda dl##

##l_1= \frac {\int_0^x l \lambda dl}{M}##

##l_1= \frac {\int_0^x l \frac {M}{x} dl}{M}##

##l_1= \frac{1}{x} \int_0^x l dl##

##l_1=\frac {1}{x} [\frac {l^2}{2}]_0^x##

##l_1=\frac {x}{2}##

The center of mass of the rod is right in the middle; its length is given as 1.0 m. (x is the position of the attached mass.)

bieon said:
Centre of attached mass:

##\frac {\sum xm}{M}##

##l_2=\frac {m_r \frac{2}{3} + m_p \frac{1}{3}}{M}##

##l_2=\frac {0.25 \frac{2}{3} + 0.25\frac{1}{3}}{0.5}##

##i_2=\frac{1}{4}##
Since the mass is just a point, its "center" is a distance x from the axis of rotation.

Doc Al said:
The center of mass of the rod is right in the middle; its length is given as 1.0 m. (x is the position of the attached mass.)Since the mass is just a point, its "center" is a distance x from the axis of rotation.

Sorry I didn't quite catch that, can you elaborate?

bieon said:
Sorry I didn't quite catch that, can you elaborate?
To find the center of mass of a system of two bodies, use: ## d = \frac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1 + m_2}##. The two bodies are the rod and attached mass, of course.

For the purpose of finding the center of mass, treat the rod as having its mass at its center, thus ##x_1 = 0.5## m. ##x_2## is just the position of the attached mass, thus ##x_2 = x##.

Doc Al said:
To find the center of mass of a system of two bodies, use: ## d = \frac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1 + m_2}##. The two bodies are the rod and attached mass, of course.

For the purpose of finding the center of mass, treat the rod as having its mass at its center, thus ##x_1 = 0.5## m. ##x_2## is just the position of the attached mass, thus ##x_2 = x##.

So,

##d=\frac {0.25(0.5)+0.25x} {0.5}##

##d=\frac{1}{4}+\frac {x}{2}##

Ahhh I complicated myself with the integrations and others! Thank you!

bieon said:
So,

##d=\frac {0.25(0.5)+0.25x} {0.5}##

##d=\frac{1}{4}+\frac {x}{2}##
Exactly.

bieon said:
Ahhh I complicated myself with the integrations and others!
Yes, you were making things more difficult than necessary. :smile:

Likes bieon
Doc Al said:
Exactly.Yes, you were making things more difficult than necessary. :smile:
Thank you! I really appreciate the help!

1. What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that can swing back and forth due to the force of gravity. The motion of a pendulum is described by the law of conservation of energy, where the potential energy of the weight at its highest point is converted into kinetic energy as it swings downward, and then back into potential energy as it swings back up. This back and forth motion continues until the energy is dissipated through friction and air resistance.

2. What is rotational inertia and how does it affect the motion of an object?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation. Objects with a larger rotational inertia will require more force to change their rotational motion compared to objects with a smaller rotational inertia. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of objects such as spinning tops, wheels, and gyroscopes.

3. How is the center of mass related to rotational motion?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which its mass is evenly distributed in all directions. In rotational motion, the center of mass is the point around which an object rotates. The position of the center of mass affects an object's rotational motion, as it determines the direction and magnitude of the object's angular momentum. The closer the center of mass is to the axis of rotation, the easier it is for the object to rotate.

4. How can the period of a pendulum be calculated?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one complete back and forth swing. It can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the pendulum swings in a small arc and that the mass of the pendulum is concentrated at its bob.

5. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The length of a pendulum has a direct relationship with its period. As the length of a pendulum increases, its period also increases. This can be seen in the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where the period is directly proportional to the square root of the length. This means that a longer pendulum will take longer to complete one swing compared to a shorter pendulum.