Moment of inertia of two objects after collision

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
hwhanson
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am working on a lab i did. In the lab we tracked the motion of two pucks that collided. One puck collided into another stationary puck of equal mass in an inelastic collision. We used a video capture system to record the velocity of the pucks before and after collisions as well as the rotation of the two objects stuck together. The two objects are both like hockey pucks in shape and have equal mass and radius.


Homework Equations



I am unsure how to solve for the moment of inertia ( I ) after both pucks have stuck together.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello hwhanson,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

I assume you can find the moment of inertia for an individual disk spinning around its own axis (around its own center).

The Parallel Axis Theorem might help you find the moment of inertia of two identical disks stuck together, rotating around the center of mass of the combination.