How Do You Calculate the Momentum of a Puck After a Collision?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rrosa522
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
rrosa522
Messages
48
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A hockey player passes a puck with an average force of 250N. The hockey stick is in contact with the puck for 0.0030s, and the mass of the puck is 180g. The puck is not moving before the player hits it.

a) Determine the impulse imparted by the hockey stick.
b)Calculate the momentum of the puck as a result of the collision

Homework Equations


p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution


I got 0.75 kg*m/s for the part A but I don't know what to do for part B. Shouldn't the answer be the same for both. I really don't understand the difference between both questions.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rrosa522 said:
I really don't understand the difference between both questions.
They want to see if you understand the relationship between impulse and momentum. Sounds like you do. :wink:

rrosa522 said:
Shouldn't the answer be the same for both.
Yes, in this case. But what if the puck was at rest when it was hit?
 
Doc Al said:
They want to see if you understand the relationship between impulse and momentum. Sounds like you do. :wink:Yes, in this case. But what if the puck was at rest when it was hit?
how can I find the momentum without knowing the velocity, the answer should be 4.2kg*m/s
 
rrosa522 said:
how can I find the momentum without knowing the velocity,
You know the impulse, which is all you need. Review the impulse-momentum theorem.

rrosa522 said:
the answer should be 4.2kg*m/s
Why do you think that? Your initial answer was correct.
 
Doc Al said:
You know the impulse, which is all you need. Review the impulse-momentum theorem.Why do you think that? Your initial answer was correct.
yes, but the answer in my book is 4.2. I just want to know if it is a mistake.
 
rrosa522 said:
yes, but the answer in my book is 4.2. I just want to know if it is a mistake.
Looks to me like the book is mistaken.