Moment of Inertia question (dead simple)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
heyall
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A thin disk is 100g.
It's diameter is 20cm.
It's thickness is 2cm.

Rotation is about the central axis (ie. perpendicular to the symmetrical plane).
Answer in kg*m2

Homework Equations



I=(1/2)MR2
M is the mass
R is the radius
I is the moment of inertia

The Attempt at a Solution



R = half the diameter ∴ R = 10cm

I= (.5)(.1)(.1)2
I= 0.0005 = 5*10^-4


I don't think the thickness matters as long as it is symmetrical all around.

The reason I ask is because this question is a multiple choice question for marks, but the answer I found (0.0005) wasn't listed as one of the options. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
heyall said:

Homework Statement


A thin disk is 100g.
It's diameter is 20cm.
It's thickness is 2cm.

Rotation is about the central axis (ie. perpendicular to the symmetrical plane).
Answer in kg*m2

Homework Equations



I=(1/2)MR2
M is the mass
R is the radius
I is the moment of inertia

The Attempt at a Solution



R = half the diameter ∴ R = 10cm

I= (.5)(.1)(.1)2
I= 0.0005 = 5*10^-4

I don't think the thickness matters as long as it is symmetrical all around.

The reason I ask is because this question is a multiple choice question for marks, but the answer I found (0.0005) wasn't listed as one of the options. Thanks!
What are the possible options?
 
5E-6
1E-7
5E5
2E-5
1E4

Where the letter E indicates scientific notation.
 
heyall said:
5E-6
1E-7
5E5
2E-5
1E4

Where the letter E indicates scientific notation.

I agree, it's 5E-4.