Moment of Inertia of Small Blocks on Rod: 3/4mL^2

In summary, the moment of inertia of the system described in the conversation can be calculated by using the fundamental formula for mass moment of inertia, I = mr^2, since the rod is of negligible mass and point masses are involved. The final result will be expressed in terms of the given quantities, m and L.
princessfrost
Small blocks, each with mass m, are clamped at the ends and at the center of a rod of length L and negligible mass

Compute the moment of inertia of the system about an axis perpendicular to the rod and passing through a point one-fourth of the length from one end.
Express your answer in terms of the given quantities.

Since I=1/2mL^2 for a system about an axis perpendicular to the rod and passing through the center of the rod, can't I just add 1/4mL^2 + 1/2mL^2 and get 3/4mL^2=I for the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the question carefully.

princessfrost said:
Since I=1/2mL^2 for a system about an axis perpendicular to the rod and passing through the center of the rod, can't I just add 1/4mL^2 + 1/2mL^2 and get 3/4mL^2=I for the equation?

Mass moment of Inertia of a rigid uniform rod of length L and mass m about an axis passing through its centre of mass and perpendicular to the length of the rod is given by I = m(L^2)/12. (and not, I=1/2mL^2, as u have quoted.)

Plz note, in the given problem, rod is of negligible mass.. so u can't apply the above formula. Instead, since point masses are involved, you should use the fundamental formula for mass moment of inertia.

is it 11/16mL^2 then?

princessfrost said:
is it 11/16mL^2 then?

Think of it this way, if you look at the link Astronuc provided, you see that we can use I = mR^2 if we have a massless rod, and a mass at the end of the rod. What you essentially have is two massless rods put into one. The first massless rod will have the length L/4, and the second rod will have the length 3L/4. These are also where the two masses are located relative to the axis of rotation. If you find the moment of inertia for each rod, again, using the equation Astronuc provided, you can add the rotational inertias together to get the total inertia you're looking for.

princessfrost said:
is it 11/16mL^2 then?

please show ur steps involved.

saket said:
Mass moment of Inertia of a rigid uniform rod of length L and mass m about an axis passing through its centre of mass and perpendicular to the length of the rod is given by I = m(L^2)/12. (and not, I=1/2mL^2, as u have quoted.)

Plz note, in the given problem, rod is of negligible mass.. so u can't apply the above formula. Instead, since point masses are involved, you should use the fundamental formula for mass moment of inertia.

The rod is massless.Hence you just have to use the fundamental equation

[tex] I = mr^2[/tex]

What is the moment of inertia of small blocks on a rod?

The moment of inertia of small blocks on a rod is a measure of the resistance of the system to rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the products of the mass of each block and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is the moment of inertia affected by the size of the blocks?

The moment of inertia is directly proportional to the size of the blocks, as the distance from the axis of rotation is squared in the calculation. This means that larger blocks will have a greater moment of inertia than smaller blocks.

Does the length of the rod affect the moment of inertia?

Yes, the moment of inertia is directly proportional to the square of the length of the rod. This means that a longer rod will have a greater moment of inertia than a shorter rod.

How does the distribution of mass on the rod impact the moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass on the rod can greatly affect the moment of inertia. If the blocks are evenly distributed along the rod, the moment of inertia will be evenly distributed. However, if the blocks are clustered towards one end of the rod, the moment of inertia will be greater on that end.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia in rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is an important factor in rotational motion as it determines how much torque is required to accelerate the system. A larger moment of inertia will require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as a smaller moment of inertia.