1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Intertia, proving Parralel axis theorum. Help please.

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    Imagine we have a Equilateral triangle in the xy plane with one vertex at the origin. The triangle will be rotated about the z axis. The depth of the triangle, d, will be constant.[tex]B_r=B(r)[/tex]

From the picture I see that [tex] B_r=\frac{r}{h}B , V=\frac{B_rhd}{2}=\frac{Bdr}{2}[/tex]

First, I need to find I.

[tex]
    I=\sum M_i*r_i^2=\int r^2 dm. p=M/V, so, dp=p dv[/tex]

[tex]
    I=p\int r^2 dv[/tex] Substituting using[tex] dp=p dv and dv=\frac{Bd}{2}dr[/tex], we get:

[tex]
    I=\frac{pBd}{2}*\int r^2 dr=\frac{pBd}{2}*\frac{r^3}{3}.[/tex] Using p=M/V:
    [tex]
    I=\frac{Mr^3}{3h}=\frac{Mr^2}{3}.[/tex] R_total/h=1.

Now, lets say I want to find I for the same shape, but now there is a distance d from the vertex to the z axis.

Everything is the same as the above, except, [tex]B_r[/tex] is now a piecewise function, where B(r)=0 for r<d and B(r)=[tex] B_r=\frac{r-d}{h}B for r>d. [/tex]

Reworking it with the new B_r, I can get the new I. After that I just solve for x in [tex] I_2=I_1+x[/tex] to get the parallel axis theorem.

The thing is, I don't know how to generalize this one example to work for all shapes. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2
    Lets pretend that whoever answers my question get free cookies.

Also, now that I think about it, I am not sure this method is valid.

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Yes picking a shape will not help you prove the theorem. What is the definition of the moment of inertia? Note that it is a vector quantity. Now displace the axis a distance d away from the original axis, note that d is a vector too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook