Moments caused by centripetal force?

In summary, the scenario described involves a car moving in a circle with frictional forces providing the centripetal force. There is also a rigid rod fastened to the car with no reaction moments between the rod and the floor, causing the centripetal force to act at the bottom of the rod. The question is whether this force causes the rod to rotate about its center of mass. The equations used are F_c = m\frac{v^2}{\rho} and M = F \times r_{\perp}. The individual is unsure if the rod would rotate.
TomW17

Homework Statement

I was thinking about different scenarios in circular motion and came to this scenario. Suppose there's a car moving in a circle around some track. Obviously it's the frictional forces between the tyres and the road which provide the centripetal force. Now, suppose there's a rigid rod that is fastened to the floor of the car (fastened at one end in a way that the rod is upright initially), and let it be fastened in a way such that there are no reaction moments between the rod and the floor of the car (e.g. a ball and socket fastening). Here, it is the reaction forces between the fastening and the rod which provide the centripetal force, but here's my question. Does the centripetal force acting at the end (the bottom) of the rod cause it to rotate about its centre of mass if the fastening between the rod and the floor provides no reaction moments?

Homework Equations

[tex]F_c = m\frac{v^2}{\rho}[/tex], [tex]M = F \times r_{\perp}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it would cause it to rotate, but I'm not sure here. My reasoning being that the centripetal force always acts in a direction traverse to the axis of the rod, which would end up causing it to rotate about its COM, but I'm not too sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your setup correctly, it would just fall down towards the outside.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to keep an object moving in a circular motion.

2. How does centripetal force cause moments?

Centripetal force causes moments, or torque, by exerting a force on an object at a distance from the axis of rotation. This creates a rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

3. Can an object experience centripetal force without experiencing moments?

No, an object cannot experience centripetal force without experiencing moments. The centripetal force is what creates the moments that cause an object to rotate.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of moments caused by centripetal force?

The magnitude of moments caused by centripetal force depends on the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

5. What are some real-world examples of moments caused by centripetal force?

Some examples of moments caused by centripetal force include the rotation of a merry-go-round, the orbit of a satellite around the Earth, and the motion of a car around a curved track. These all involve a force acting towards the center of the circular motion, causing the object to experience moments and rotate around an axis.