Moments in QM: When Can I Say JLS^2 Approx Equal JL+S?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Petar Mali
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moments Qm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Petar Mali
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
[tex]\vec{J}[/tex] - mechanical moment
[tex]\vec{L}[/tex] - orbital moment
[tex]\vec{S}[/tex] - spin moment

[tex]\vec{J}=\vec{L}+\vec{S}[/tex]

When can I say
[tex]J^2\approx J(J+1)[/tex]
[tex]L^2\approx L(L+1)[/tex]
[tex]S^2\approx S(S+1)[/tex]?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In your equations the J on the left is an operator, the j on the right should be an eigenvalue (a number). Then your equations always hold for angular momentum states of pure j,l,s.
 
[tex]J[/tex] - eigen-value

I'm asking you because the formula

[tex]g_J=\frac{J(J+1)+L(L+1)-S(S+1)}{2J(J+1)}[/tex]

I think that that formula is in the game not just for very large [tex]J,L,S[/tex].
 
You always have [tex]\vec J\thinspace ^2|jm\rangle=j(j+1)|jm\rangle[/tex], but if the left-hand sides of your equations are eigenvalues too, then the equations are obviously only valid when J,L,S are negligible compared to J²,L²,S².
 
Petar Mali said:
[tex]J[/tex] - eigen-value

I'm asking you because the formula

[tex]g_J=\frac{J(J+1)+L(L+1)-S(S+1)}{2J(J+1)}[/tex]

I think that that formula is in the game not just for very large [tex]J,L,S[/tex].
That formula is true for all eigenstates of J,L,S.