Moments Question (IWTSE.org) -- Three balances and two masses

In summary, when solving for the weight on the center balance, it is important to take the beams as having zero mass and to check for dimensional consistency in the equations. Using mechanical advantage may also be a simpler approach.
TomK
Homework Statement
Contraptions - Balances
Relevant Equations
Moments Equation
IWTSE (Contraptions, Balances).jpg
Balances Working 1.jpg
Balances Working 2.jpg

I think I have done this in an inefficient way. I assumed from the question that the three balances were of equal mass, though I'm not sure if I should have ignored their mass entirely. The correct answer is X = (62 + [2/9]) kg. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Among the three balances, first think of the left one. How much weight is there at 1m arm for 10kg weight at 4m arm ? Then think of the right one how much weight is there at 3.5m arm for X kg weight at 3.5m arm ? With these two results think of the center balance.

TomK said:
Homework Statement:: Contraptions - Balances
Relevant Equations:: Moments Equation
I think I have done this in an inefficient way. I assumed from the question that the three balances were of equal mass, though I'm not sure if I should have ignored their mass entirely. The correct answer is X = (62 + [2/9]) kg. Please help.
Yes, you should take the beams as zero mass, otherwise you do not have enough information.
At the end you have an expression X(g-10/7). Because you have not included units throughout, I am not sure what this means, but it is dimensionally inconsistent. g is an acceleration; the 10/7 may or may not be dimensionless, but it is certainly not an acceleration.

Having arrived at clear proof of an algebraic error, I would apply 'binary chop': check an equation somewhere in the middle for dimensional consistency; if that is wrong, check one quarter of the way through, else check at the three quarters mark; etc.

For this specific problem, I would not bother with calculating the reaction forces at the three fulcrums.
Using mechanical advantage should be sufficient, if allowed.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary
haruspex said:
Yes, you should take the beams as zero mass, otherwise you do not have enough information.
At the end you have an expression X(g-10/7). Because you have not included units throughout, I am not sure what this means, but it is dimensionally inconsistent. g is an acceleration; the 10/7 may or may not be dimensionless, but it is certainly not an acceleration.

Having arrived at clear proof of an algebraic error, I would apply 'binary chop': check an equation somewhere in the middle for dimensional consistency; if that is wrong, check one quarter of the way through, else check at the three quarters mark; etc.

Thank you for your advice. I redid the question, assuming the beams have zero mass, and I got the right answer.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the purpose of Moments Question (IWTSE.org)?

The purpose of Moments Question (IWTSE.org) is to test a person's understanding of moments and how they are affected by different variables, such as balances and masses.

2. How many balances are involved in Moments Question (IWTSE.org)?

There are three balances involved in Moments Question (IWTSE.org). These balances are used to measure the forces and moments acting on the system.

3. What are the two masses in Moments Question (IWTSE.org)?

The two masses in Moments Question (IWTSE.org) refer to the objects being balanced on the three balances. These masses are used to create a force and affect the moments in the system.

4. What is the significance of Moments Question (IWTSE.org) in science?

Moments Question (IWTSE.org) is significant in science because it helps to demonstrate the principles of moments, which are important in understanding how objects behave under different forces and how to achieve balance in a system.

5. How can Moments Question (IWTSE.org) be used in real-life applications?

Moments Question (IWTSE.org) can be used in real-life applications, such as engineering and construction, to understand how forces and moments can affect the stability and balance of structures. It can also be used in physics and mechanics to analyze the behavior of objects under different forces and moments.