1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentsand Forces acting on a ruler

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    I have a question about moments a forces acting on a meter ruler.

"A meter ruler of weight 1.0N is pivoted on a nail passing through a hole drilled at the 10cm mark. A weight of 3.0N is suspended at the 30cm mark. A Newton meter supports the ruler at the 90cm mark so that it is horizontal.
    a) use the principle of moments to calculate the magnitude of force T needed to keep the ruler horizontal.
    b)the newton meter is raised until the rule makes an angle A with the horizontal. Without doing any further calculations copare the magnitude of the force provided by the newton meter in this new positionwith the force T when the rule was horizontal. Explain your answer."

For part a I had (0.2 x 3) + (0.4 x 1) = 0.8T
    to give T = 1.25N

For part b I am confused. Intuitively I think the force should have increased but I'm not really sure why and since none of the distances have changed and the weights are the same I don't how it can have changed.

Please help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since it is still supporting the same weight, the vertical component of force must be the same. Now, the horizontal component is non-zero. what does that tell you about the magnitude of the force?
  4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    If there is now a horizontal component the force must have increased to include this.

Where does the horizontal component come from?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?